Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lehigh Gorge bike train on July 7th

Date: 08/05/18 19:09
Lehigh Gorge bike train on July 7th
Author: OCtrainguy

On July 7th, I rode the bicycle train run by the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway and the Reading & Northern.  The train leaves Jim Thorpe and traverses up to White Haven.  At White Haven, both the passengers and bicycles disembark and then you make the 25 mile trip back to Jim Thorpe at your own pace.  We've done this the past four years and still enjoy it!  While it was hot and humid for most of the week, we got some beautiful weather for the bike train, making it much more enjoyable.  Here are some photos.

1.  The train waiting at the station while the boarding has begun
2.  The trailing engine is another one of the R&N GP30s (though they seem to refer to them as GP39s)
3.  The bicycles are place in two gondolas

A few more to follow...   

Date: 08/05/18 19:18
Re: Lehigh Gorge bike train on July 7th
Author: OCtrainguy

A few more photos of the train...

4.  The train ride itself is great as the tracks parellel the river, crossing it a few times.  Here's one of the river crossings.
5.  My son and I quickly rode down to Tannery to catch the train returning to Jim Thorpe. 
6.  Going away photo of the train at Tannery

For those just wanting to ride the train to White Haven and back there is that option.  It was a great day to be out in the Lehigh Gorge.  Hope you enjoy the photos!

Date: 08/06/18 04:33
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 08/06/18 08:32
Author: boejoe

I'm amazed at the quantity of bikes that are loaded into the gons.  Glad to see that it is more than "just" a tourist train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds