Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Re: NS new Vermilion connection

Date: 09/13/18 04:39
Re: NS new Vermilion connection
Author: richs

A few TO members including myself have been reporting on the now finally done connection between the Chicago main and the former NKP main. This was reported a few weeks ago. This compliments the first connection built years ago right after the CR split up to take some traffic off the NKP through the western suburbs of Cleveland involving the Cloggsville connection on the near west side of Cleveland and the connection east of Coen Rd. Even though these lines are in very close proximity to each other, due to elevation issues between the 2 line.NS had to buy quite a bit of farm land then to accomplish that. This connection is easy to spot on Google maps.  The recently completed connection essentially completes a  bell curve shape. This connection is a bit west  of Coen Rd.on the NKP and joins the Chicago main basically at the Risden Rd. grade crossing.  
With that said, I am posting some completed images taken from the Risden Rd/Chi. line grade crossing..   
1. Looking east down the Chicago line.  Switch heaters and crossovers are visible as well as the new connection track at the far right.
2. Looking west down the Chicago line. Again, crossovers and switch heaters can be seen as well as the new connection track in the far left of the picture. .Golf course is to the right.
3. This it the connecting track coming off the Chicago line (in picture 2) going SE in a fairly tight radius to join the NKP west of Coen Rd. 

Date: 09/13/18 05:28
Author: NKP715

What trains use this, and what routings have changed.

Date: 09/13/18 05:30
Author: PRR_4859

Good to see. Thank you for sharing. Any idea how many trains per day will use the new connection? I am assuming traffic will increase now in the western suburbs by several trains per day.

Thank you in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/18 05:31 by PRR_4859.

Date: 09/13/18 05:44

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to see. Thank you for sharing. Any idea how
> many trains per day will use the new connection?
> I am assuming traffic will increase now in the
> western suburbs by several trains per day.
>
> Thank you in advance.
I do not know how many trains will use this connection.  I would agree about probably a few more trains leaving Bellevue Terminal heading up to the northeast.  I'll get a hold of a buddy of mine at Bellevue and try to get more specific answers.
Rich S

Date: 09/13/18 06:49
Author: MEKoch

NS was looking for flexibility in their operation between the NKP & NYC main lines.  This connection allows them to avoid clogged yards, track repair areas, etc., and keep their trains moving. 

In my mind, if and when a commuter train operates west from Cleveland (CUT) on the NKP, it could here switch to the NYC and go west to Vermillion and Sandusky (big tourist destination). 

Date: 09/13/18 08:38
Author: JPB

The new connection should be used by intermodals 22K/23K (Chicago-Ayer) and 206/205 (Chicago-Buffalo) that bypass Bellevue Yard by using the ex-NYC line.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/18 08:39 by JPB.

Date: 09/13/18 12:05
Author: twropr

I'm not clear on the role of the two connections.  From the last post about the Chicago-Ayer train, I assume the newer of the two connections takes an eastbound from the NYC to the NKP?
What does the first connection accomplish - maybe to allow a train from Bellevue to access the NYC?
Andy

Date: 09/13/18 12:22
Author: halfmoonharold

There are no trains currently using the new connection. There have been at least 3 moves through it. The last one I know of was a 566 coal train to Avon Lake, several weeks ago.

Date: 09/13/18 13:36

twropr Wrote:
> I'm not clear on the role of the two
> connections.  From the last post about the
> Chicago-Ayer train, I assume the newer of the two
> connections takes an eastbound from the NYC to the
> NKP?
> What does the first connection accomplish - maybe
> to allow a train from Bellevue to access the NYC?
> Andy

The first connection can allow a WB train on the Chicago line to directly access Bellevue on the NKP with it's myriad of route choices once at Bellevue, without either taking the Cloggsville connection with it's traffic jambs at Rockport terminal by Cleveland Hopkins airport OR staying on the Chicago line and making the southbound connection in Sandusky to Bellevue.  Also, the original connection would allow an EB  train to exit Bellevue on the NKP and get immediately over to the Chicago (NYC) main.
Rich S

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/18 13:48 by richs.

Date: 09/15/18 05:23
Author: NSSpike

Always like to see posts like this that provide updates on changes / additions to tracks / signals etc. with a narrative and photos!!
Thanks
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 09/15/18 07:50
Author: ts1457

NSSpike Wrote:
> Always like to see posts like this that provide
> updates on changes / additions to tracks / signals
> etc. with a narrative and photos!!

I agree. I love to see progress.

And thank you for such reports which you have provided.

Jack

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds