Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > RBMN's Nesquehoning Bridge construction update

Date: 11/04/18 14:38
RBMN's Nesquehoning Bridge construction update
Author: Pattenburg

With such a balmy day forecasted for Sunday and the prospect of actually seeing some fall colors I decided to head out to Nesquehoning (PA) and check out how RBMN's new bridge construction is coming along. After Saturday's rain and wind storm I feared that all the leaves would have been blown off leaving the foliage rather sparse in color. Evidently they have tough leaves in this area as there was a good amount of color to be seen. Regarding the attached photo, that is of the bike train returning after dropping off the bicyclists in White Haven. The video is of the 11AM excursion run heading up to Old Penn Haven. Regarding that second horn that is heard, that was from RBMN's Budd cars waiting at Nesquehoning Jct for the excursion to clear before proceeding to Jim Thorpe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/18 06:33 by Pattenburg.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/04/18 15:43
Re: RBMN's Nesquehoning Bridge construction update
Author: OCtrainguy

Nicely done Pattenburg! 

Date: 11/05/18 03:56
Author: JUTower

It is amazing that this bridge is finally being built; and it will be interesting to see how traffic changes as a result.  I fondly recall the "Tell your boss..." sign that was placed up near Glen Onoko for the D&H/CP Rail crews, with the goal being to get the D&H trackage rights traffic to move via Reading & save a few miles.

Date: 11/05/18 16:03
Author: hawkeye

Is the new bridge being built for the railroad or bicyclists to use the Leigh Gorge Trail?  Google maps shows that the railroad and trail are pretty close to each other on the current bridge.  Is there a web site that might show what things will end up looking like when done?
Thanks,
Richard in Idaho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/18 08:30 by hawkeye.

Date: 11/05/18 16:30
Author: OCtrainguy

The new bridge is strictly for rail service for the Reading & Northern.  In the CNJ days, the current bridge was double-track.  Currently, one track is for the R&N/Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway and the other (now removed) track is the trail.  There is a fence separating the track from trail.  

Date: 11/05/18 18:00
Author: OHRY

Frankly I wouldn't see the NS adding anymore traffic to the RBMN since they now own the Sunbury Line. It will help the RBMN with their own trains since they'll no longer have to make a run around at Jim Thorpe.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds