Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Chase in the Rain

Date: 01/12/19 19:08
Chase in the Rain
Author: narailfan

A fellow volunteer and I were still working late this afternoon at the North Alabama Railroad Museum in Huntsville Al when I could hear a train blowing at the crossings downtown. The Museum is located in the community of Chase. Our depot is known as the Chase depot. Our line is adjacent to the NS main that runs between Memphis and Chattanooga. We are actually located right on the ruling grade between Memphis and Chattanooga. More that one coal train has pulled a knuckle as it the head end gets past the crest of the hill and starts back down while the western end is still nearly a mile back and around the curve well below the crest of the hill. If you watch the entire video you will see the train gradually picks up speed the further it moves east. Sometimes the dynamic forces on the knuckle in the middle is just too great. The video was shot on one of our flat cars that we have installed a high platform on for brush cutting along our ROW. The picture of our depot is one I took a few years ago in a rare North Alabama snowfall. 

Enjoy

jb

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/12/19 19:35
Re: Chase in the Rain
Author: srman

Nice video. I'll have to check out your museum the next time that I'm down that way. Curious as to what is the number of that Southern yellow bay window caboose? Got a few pics of them when they were
used.

Date: 01/12/19 19:42
Re: Chase in the Rain
Author: narailfan

I believe that caboose is X150. It is actually in pretty good shape but the paint needs a little TLC. We use that one on some of our work trains. 

jb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds