Home Open Account Help 161 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fourth time was a charm on the NS's Washington Secondary!

Date: 02/04/19 09:24
Fourth time was a charm on the NS's Washington Secondary!
Author: Pattenburg

Been exploring NS's Washington Secondary and its associated history of the line and on my fourth attempt I finally managed to get NS local H02 heading down towards Washington (NJ) on Monday morning. NS 5304 (ex-PC 8119, ex-CR 8119; GP38-2) was the sole power for a train consisting of seven covered hoppers and one boxcar. 
Image 1: H02 is approaching the Hazen Road grade crossing at 9:44 AM in Rockport (NJ). This is the location where a July 16, 1925 derailment of a DL&W special passenger train saw fifty people killed. The cause of this derailment was debris from a dirt road that was washed down by torrential rain storms the previous night and early morning which clogged the flange ways at the grade crossing. Off to the right and by that tree is a memorial plaque that recognizes what the tragedy was that took place here ninety-four years ago.
Image 2: The plaque that was placed here to commemorate this event.
Image 3: Around 10:02 H02 is seen passing by the former Port Murray DL&W depot. It is slowly being restored. Off to the left is Erie caboose C178.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/19 09:25 by Pattenburg.

Date: 02/04/19 10:08
Re: Fourth time was a charm on the NS's Washington Secondary!
Author: NS4271

Nice photos, glad you finally got to see it.

Date: 02/04/19 10:17
Author: CPR_4000

Isn't this branch supposed to go to a shortline?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/19 10:17 by CPR_4000.

Date: 02/04/19 10:22
Author: Gonut1

Date: 02/04/19 13:55
Author: DocJohn

Thank you for posting the pictures.  According to my April 27, 1958 Lackawanna Subirban Time Tables booklet, Washington had two M-F round trips to/from Hoboken and one on Saturdays.  Do any pictures of those trains exist?

John

Date: 02/04/19 14:07
Author: pdt

I woundnt be surprised if I have one here somewhere.    Got plenty of pix of the Sussex branch...so there's prob one of the washington trains (??)

Date: 02/04/19 14:20
Author: boejoe

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for posting the pictures.  According to
> my April 27, 1958 Lackawanna Subirban Time Tables
> booklet, Washington had two M-F round trips
> to/from Hoboken and one on Saturdays.  Do any
> pictures of those trains exist?
>
> John
I visited Washington NJ on a Sunday afternoon in the summer of 1958.  A Train Master was laying over with coaches awaiting the Monday morning trip to Hoboken.  Don't recall the second train laying over,

Date: 02/04/19 14:24
Author: boejoe

Hstorical plaque most interesting.  I visited the Port Murray station at one point (date?) when the pine tree must have been a sapling.  There were some other cabooses on the siding as well having been relocated from Whippany NJ..  They were painted in a "gold" primer.  One was LNE heritage, one Raritan River and one DL&W and possibly the Erie unit.  None were in their final red paint/lettering arrangement.

Date: 02/04/19 14:32
Author: Lackawanna484

The Morris Canal passed just east of the Port Murray station.  In the second picture, it's just out of sight to the right.

Port Colden, Changewater, Port Morris, Budd Lake, Port Oram / Wharton and Lake Hopatcong are all remnants of the Canal. If you travel up to Rockport on the back road to Hackettstown, you can see a lot of the stonework.

Date: 02/04/19 14:51

Only time I got to see Booton Line tranis besides Lackawanna Terminal in Hoboken was on a Sundat afternoondrive with my Dad in 1957 or 48.  We saw a WB local at Mountan Lakes (?)

John

Date: 02/04/19 15:57
Author: Pattenburg

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for posting the pictures.  According to
> my April 27, 1958 Lackawanna Subirban Time Tables
> booklet, Washington had two M-F round trips
> to/from Hoboken and one on Saturdays.  Do any
> pictures of those trains exist?
>
> John
How is this one taken on June 6, 1966?

Date: 02/04/19 16:10
Author: NS4271

Great photo from 1966. Very good.   

Date: 02/04/19 16:58
Author: NYSW252

The former L&NE, Raritan River, and Lackawanna cabooses that were once on a siding adjacent to the Port Murray station are owned by Tri-State Railway Historical Society.  The are currently  located at the URHS storage yard in Boonton, N.J. They saw service on trips operating over the Dover & Rockaway River Railroad during September 2018. A former Erie Railroad Dunmore style caboose is located in Port Murray. This is a privately owned caboose that was once located at a residence in Plainfield, N.J.

Date: 02/04/19 17:37
Author: OCtrainguy

That ol' saying about patience and persistence.  Glad you were able to catch the local.  

Date: 02/04/19 18:51

Thank you for posting the 1966 passenger train picture.  Interesting that the line was still signalled.  John

Date: 02/05/19 11:26
Author: cjvrr

Glad you were able to catch it.

Always amazed at the tree growth between old and new photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds