Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "A 12-Mile Winter Shove"

Date: 03/03/19 04:42
"A 12-Mile Winter Shove"
Author: ut-1

Culminating three days' effort to clear its 45-mile Utica-Lyons Falls, NY line (including a low-speed derailment of engine No. 805 and the Jordan Spreader on Thursday due to hard-packed snow and ice on the rails from illegal snowmobile usage), the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern brought thirty-eight tank cars from Utica to Lyons Falls yesterday.

These are the first of several hundred cars which will eventually be stored on the otherwise unused 10-mile section of track between Boonville-Lyons Falls. They will be switched-out in the fall. MA&N has been storing cars in this fashion for several years.

Upon reaching milepost 33, the two engines and spacer car were re-positioned at the rear of the train. The twelve-mile shove to Lyons Falls then commenced.

This video shows some of the switching action, the train's arrival in Lyons Falls, and, tankers spotted, a few glimpses of the move back to Utica.

Three photos:

1) With MA&N No. 2456 up front, the train nears Pototo Hill Road, Boonville.

2) Re-positioning the engines & covered hopper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/19 05:41 by ut-1.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/03/19 04:43
Re: "A 12-Mile Winter Shove"

3) End of twelve-mile shove, Lyons Falls, NY.

Date: 03/03/19 05:18
Author: GBW309

Neat video.  Thanks for the story.

Dave

Date: 03/03/19 05:25
Author: Tominde

Nice video.  How much does that conductor get paid to stand on the rear of a tank car holding on in the cold and snow for 12 mile shove? Then did he have to walk the cut, apply handbrakes, and make his way back to the hopefully warm cab of the engine.   Nobody ever said railroading is easy.

Date: 03/03/19 05:40
Author: ClubCar

GBW309 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat video.  Thanks for the story.
>
> Dave
I agree 100%, teriffic photos and story and I love the video.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/03/19 07:31
Author: NSSpike

Excellent series of photos and video. Tough conditions for the crew and yourself. And I though one of our locals had it tough on a 7 mile shove of loaded propane cars.
The conditions up that way this time of year sure do present many obstacles. Thanks for efforts on the photo's and video.
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/03/19 20:34
Author: The-late-EMD

Boy did that job ever need a caboose. Oh I mean a shoving platform.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/04/19 01:13
Author: JPB

It's surprising to me that LPG tank cars (DOT 1075) would be going into storage in early March. Plus aren't these empties being stored awfully close to the Adirondacks? Saratoga & North Creek got into hot water with New York State when it stored empty tank cars (formerly used for crude oil hauling, IIRC) along the Hudson River between North Creek and Tahawus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/19 01:24 by JPB.

Date: 03/04/19 04:16

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's surprising to me that LPG tank cars (DOT
> 1075) would be going into storage in early March.
> Plus aren't these empties being stored awfully
> close to the Adirondacks? Saratoga & North Creek
> got into hot water with New York State when it
> stored empty tank cars (formerly used for crude
> oil hauling, IIRC) along the Hudson River between
> North Creek and Tahawus.

A few important distinctions:

1. MA&N owns the railroad, it’s not a leaseholder like SNC (which leased from the county);

2. While close to the Adirondack Park border, these tracks do not fall within its confines; and

3. While the storage of these cars over the past several years has generated some local opposition, it’s been nothing like the SNC encountered.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0675 seconds