Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Routing of NS #225 leaving Austell

Date: 04/09/19 08:13
Routing of NS #225 leaving Austell
Author: Soo715

I was checking out Austell, GA recently and was puzzled by one thing. NS intermodal schedules show the #225, the Meridian Speedway KCS-UP connection train to LA, leaving nightly. However, the split of the NS lines to Birmingham/Meridian and Chattanooga and points north is southeast of the intermodal yard, in downtown Austell. But there doesn's appear to be a wye connector track to allow a train to leave the yard eastbound and then get on to the line towards Birmingham. So what is the routing for the #225 out of Austell? Does it back out of the yard past the split and then reverse directions? That seems like the most likely possibility, unless I am missing something about an area I am not very familiar with geographically. Thanks in advance for any info.

Date: 04/09/19 09:55
Re: Routing of NS #225 leaving Austell
Author: florida581

225 originates at Atlanta’s Inman Yard.  There are 6 pairs of Austell Whitaker - Atlanta Inman turn jobs that shuttle intermodal traffic between the two terminals.  The traffic bound for 225, that’s loaded at Austell, catches one of those turn jobs to Inman where it’s put on 225.

Andrew

Date: 04/09/19 12:35
Author: Soo715

Oh that makes sense I guess, although it does involve a bit of back tracking....  Thanks for the info.

Date: 04/09/19 17:16
Author: NSSpike

Soo715 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 >although it does
> involve a bit of back tracking..

Not necessarily so on the back tracking.
Listed below are the transfer jobs between NS Whitaker Austell & NS Inman Atlanta
G88 Austell, GA - Atlanta, GA turn daily
G89 Austell, GA - Atlanta, GA turn daily
G90 Austell, GA - Atlanta, GA turn daily
G91 Austell, GA - Atlanta, GA turn Mo-Fr
G92 Austell, GA - Atlanta, GA turn Tu-Sa
G93 Austell, GA - Atlanta, GA turn daily

For example NS 226 terminates in Atlanta. But as a rule not before it pulls high of CP Cobb south of Austell and stops.
Whitaker will send a job out to get a cut of cars off the rear of 226 and take back north.
226 then takes the remaining cars to Inman Yard. Usually these are cars to be forwarded to Charlotte and points east.
Cars, if any from Austell destined west on 225 would be transferred to Inman by one of the jobs listed above.
nta, GA turn daily

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/19 17:19 by NSSpike.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds