Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > DL, Reading & Northern, NS around Scranton 5/26

Date: 05/26/19 21:23
DL, Reading & Northern, NS around Scranton 5/26
Author: sscannella

Spending some time with the family in the Scranton, PA area allowed me to get out a bit and shoot some of the rail activity there Sunday.  Right after church I headed downtown to see if there was any DL activity going on around Bridge 60 and Steamtown.  Fortunately there was as a quartet of DL Alcos were tying on to a cut of sand hoppers to head north to Carbondale.  NS also had a couple trains converging on the area, as well as their K79 local working in Taylor Yard, and for good measure the Reading and Northern's Scranton Branch job was on duty at Pittston getting ready to come north.

I started out with a shot of the NS 14R at MP 671 (Lackawanna Ave.), then grabbed a shot of the DL SC7 by Bridge 60 the starting across Lackawanna Ave.

Date: 05/26/19 21:28
Re: DL, Reading & Northern, NS around Scranton 5/26

I elected to follow the DL job a bit, seen here entering the former D&H Green Ridge yard then crossing the Lackawanna River coming into Olyphant.  At Archbald, they stopped to pick up an additional 17 cars to add to the 18 they already had.

Date: 05/26/19 21:43

One last look along with a video at the DL SC7 before I shifted gears.

After a break for a couple hours mid-day, I headed down to Taylor Yard as the Reading and Northern SBPI was reentering Taylor Yard where they had a big 43 car pick-up to take with them back to their yard in Pittston.  The K79 had tied up for the day, but NS's 37T was approaching Taylor Yard so I grabbed a shot of that first.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/26/19 21:52

The K79 had a CP unit on the point today, that power and cars are usually shuffled to Binghamton, NY by another local job overnight..

When the Reading and Northern job finishes up its work, it pulls out and starts back to Pittston with the higher than usual number of  cars from the interchange.  The final shot is in Old Forge PA on the former DL&W Bloomsburg Branch approaching the Moosic Rd. crossing.

Date: 05/27/19 04:40
Author: perklocal

Great bunch of shots ! The video along the street at Archbald is a winner too. Still alot of action in Scranton if you know where to find it and you certainly do. Looks like you had a very successful day. Fantastic post !

Date: 05/27/19 05:00
Author: Pattenburg

Nice image at Olyphant, one of my favorite locations along that line.

Date: 05/27/19 06:44
Author: RDG630

Nice images, thanks for sharing.

Date: 05/27/19 17:58
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds