Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Baltimore Howard Street Problems

Date: 07/10/19 11:25
Baltimore Howard Street Problems
Author: ClubCar

I am somewhat surprised that no one has been giving updated reports about what is really happening in Downtown Baltimore with the broken main water pipe located on Howard Street above the CSX (former B&O) train tunnel that carries the main line under the city.  Today on the local news all that was stated is that a large portion of the side of the street, next to the Light Rail Track, has now sunk and that they still have not repaired the water problem.  This water problem is not a surprise to me as when the Light Rail was under construction back in 1988 / 89, the entire water system under Howard Street should have been completely rebuilt before the tracks for the Light Rail were laid in the street.  I can attest to the fact that for many years water has been leaking into the railroad tunnel below the street and it was not from the rain.  I have ridden on trains through the tunnel and water was always visible in the area of where Howard Street and Lombard Street intersect above.  I honestly still believe that back when CSX had the major derailment and subsequent fire in the Howard Street Tunnel, it was a result of the water coming into the tunnel and undermining the track.  The city blamed the railroad for the problem, especially when a broken water main above happened right after the derailment and the fire; however it is still my opinion that due to the constant water seepage from the water system, this was the real culprit.  Again, this is only my opinion based on what I knew back in the 1990's when I was employed in downtown Baltimore and knew many people who worked for CSX.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/10/19 11:41
Re: Baltimore Howard Street Problems
Author: Lackawanna484

Date: 07/10/19 15:40
Author: OscarManheim

Perhaps a good example of why "Band-Aids" should not be substituted for a "cure?" (Not dissing Band-Aids brand...of course.) B&O's Howard St. Tunnel has been an issue for decades. Recent changes in traffic, enviroment, climate...(you name it) will now need to be addressed more seriously.
-Manny

Date: 07/10/19 22:09
Author: CSX602

Sounds like CSX is getting flooded by the infrastructure problems of that dreadful urban example city that will find some way to blame the police or some GOP official. Let's hope they get the water main fixed before the next round of riots.  Maybe the new mayor will write a book about it and give big city work contracts to those who sell their book (um, like the last mayor who resigned).   

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/19 22:19 by CSX602.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds