Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Do you save every Trains magazine you receive?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/26/19 17:45
Do you save every Trains magazine you receive?
Author: dschlegel

I’ve been looking at the shelves where I have my 20+ years of Trains magazines stored and have been thinking I could put the space to better use.
My question is, do you hold onto every Trains magazine or just certain ones?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/26/19 17:53
Re: Do you save every Trains magazine you receive?
Author: BobB

When I got Trains 1940 to 2010 on DVD I threw out the 20 year supply that I had (1990 to 2010).  I still have every magazine since then and at time find looking back at them useful.

Date: 07/26/19 17:58
Author: DFWJIM

dschlegel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’ve been looking at the shelves where I have my
> 20+ years of Trains magazines stored and have been
> thinking I could put the space to better use.
> My question is, do you hold onto every Trains
> magazine or just certain ones?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dan
>
> Posted from iPhone

Only certain ones. I have a few going back to the 70s and 80s. Its fun to occasionally browse through them.

Date: 07/26/19 17:58
Author: 3rdswitch

Used to but too many take up too much room. Took most to a used book store trading for books. Saved the ones with rail fanning articles that I can refer to.
JB

Date: 07/26/19 18:07
Author: CO5232

I have every one back to 1952.  I bought the 1940-2010 DVD collection hoping that could replace the older magazines.  But the DVD turned out to not be upward compatable with newer Windows, so it was $150 down the drain.

Date: 07/26/19 18:32
Author: yes

I give my magizines plus my. yearly calendar to my enginer buddy for IAM a stock holder and u know what he said that's pretty good if u know what I mean by the way he works for up.

Date: 07/26/19 18:47
Author: zars

I save my Trains magazines and other historical society and railroad trade magazines I get for a year, then take them down to the high school near me and donate them to the library there.  What they eventually do with them, I do not know; but, I am hoping they find their way into the hands of a teenaged train buff there.

Date: 07/26/19 20:30
Author: junctiontower

I have been a subscriber since 1996, and I have all of those copies, plus I have been trying to build the full collection going back to day one.  A nice local train enthusiast gave me quite a few old ones, I have got some at flea markets and I bought a half a trunk full at the Marion (OH) station museum a few years ago. I probably have 2/3rds or more of a complete set now.  I have the DVD, but it's just not quite the same as having a hard copy in my hands.   By the way, I'm running mine on Windows 10, and it works just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/19 20:30 by junctiontower.

Date: 07/26/19 20:40
Author: K3HX

No, I give them away to parents of little kids at train shows and keep a few with me to hand out
should I see a young person trackside with grandpa.
If the pile gets too big, I donate the magazines to a local model RR group.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

PS See you at Summerail!

Date: 07/26/19 20:45
Author: PlyWoody

I have every issue ever published and even Volume 0 #0 example.  My question is what railroad owned the water tower on the cover of Volume 0 and Volume 1 #1 taken by Lin Westcott. Those first 5 Volumes had tremendous wonderful map drawn by Lin Westcott.  One of Hawaii shows every sugar cane line and government trackage. One of Colorado showed some logging railroads with spurs that still need to be explored.  The love for narrow gauge railroad was formulated by the many fine article on NG lines, many from William Moredinger.  I really wish Lin Moredinger would publish a book of his dad's fantastic photo of the small and narrow lines he explored before the WWII.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/19 20:46 by PlyWoody.

Date: 07/27/19 05:48
Author: warren1977

I have a large amount of David P. Morgan era issues, including:
Several bound years from the 1950s, including one of Trains and Travel (1953-54)
Other loose issues from the 1950s and 60s.
my 1st issue; Jan. 1970
1971 complete
my grandfather's complete 15 yr. collection from 1972-86
DPM's last issues as editor in 1987.
Sporadic issues since then, usually article-specific.
They come in handy every now and again.

Date: 07/27/19 05:56
Author: tomdoyle409

Likewise for me.  I have the video running through 2010, and have kept every issue since. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/19 05:58 by tomdoyle409.

Date: 07/27/19 06:53
Author: aehouse

With a few exceptions for the year 1969, I have every issue of Trains magazine ever published.  Have no plans to get rid of any of them, since as we all know, electronic media protocols and formats change all the time.

Old magazines remain forever if you store them properly.

(I also have every Model Railroader published from 1940 on.  Am missing the first few years.)

Art House

Date: 07/27/19 07:01
Author: Gonut1

I have the DVD and gave away my magazines, collected since 1987, to a fellow I work with who's son and a neighbor boy read them. I read the new ones and give them to them as well. 
The DVD is totally upward compatible with Windows 10? In the last few years I've read my way up to 1977. The actual magazines are nice to have but do take up space and get musty with age. They are not kind to my allergies. Now what to do with Rails Northeast, Classic Toy Trains (Every issue including 2 copires of the Premier issue, one never out of the envelope!), and Classic Trains?
Then there are the books and boxes of old train literature.
Gonut

Date: 07/27/19 07:09
Author: CPCoyote

I used to, but we recently moved cross country, so I decided to weed out most of them, starting from 1965. I kept certain “milestone” years and issues (at least one from every year) so now my collection is much more manageable.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/27/19 07:28
Author: goneon66

i don't save every magazine.  i have saved the magazines that had articles that interested me (milwaukee rd., powder river, at&sf, maps of interest, etc.).  when i am either too old or sick to use a computer, i can lay in bed and read magzines on a morphine drip...........

Date: 07/27/19 09:08
Author: BobB

CO5232 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have every one back to 1952.  I bought the
> 1940-2010 DVD collection hoping that could replace
> the older magazines.  But the DVD turned out to
> not be upward compatable with newer Windows, so it
> was $150 down the drain.

The DVD works fine on my Windows 10 computer; there may be some issue you need to resolve on yours.

Date: 07/27/19 10:35
Author: dbrcnw

My experience is something of a combination of what's already been noted. From 1964-1968 inclusive I put them in hard cover binders from Kalmbach. Those gather dust on a bookshelf at my home. Sometime after 1968 I felt the editorial content of the magazine was going in a direction which didn't interest me so I let the subscription exprie. I expressed this to the editors but their response didn't match my interests of that time. Then at some point in the 1980's or was it the 90's, the content again became more interesting to me and I resubscribed. That's when I started making photocopies of stories I wanted to keep and began taking the magazines to the model railroad club. One day I came into the club room to find about a half-dozen copies of them scattered about the floor, some with footprints on same. That ended that and I again sought a place for used copies. Three different library systems declined so I again had "read" copies on hand. I discoveed a transportation museum about 60 miles away would be interested so I periodically take the copies there. Should this eventually become unacceptable, they're off to the recyclers.

DaleR

Date: 07/27/19 14:00
Author: tomstp

From the  50's I saved a lot until mid 1990's.  There were many issues that had nothing of interest to me and I tossed them.  Very few are interesting now but, I take it anyway basically for Fred Frailey stories/articles..    .  Actually, I like Classic Trains much better.

Date: 07/27/19 14:11
Author: gandydancer4

I like my "Trains" DVD.. Works well. I wish EVERY magazine was on DVD, especially the Historical Societies. I'd buy them in a minute. What kind of Historical Society is it when they don't keep up ON THEIR OWN HISTORY? Put'em on DVD....PLEASE? 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0766 seconds