Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS "Fuel Saving" Questions

Date: 09/01/19 02:23
NS "Fuel Saving" Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Morning:

While in the Harrisburg/Hershey, PA area yesterday, I heard the Harrisburg Terminal and Hagerstown dispatchers ask every road train if they had "energy-saving features" on their consists, meaning trip optimizer. Why would the dispatcher be required to ask this? I had never heard this being asked before.

Also, train 30A, when departing Enola, said he had 3 road units, but tonnage only allowed him to have on unit on line. Has NS always done this for fuel saving requirements, or is this practice new?

Thank you in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/19 02:25 by PRR_4859.

Date: 09/01/19 04:39
Re: NS "Fuel Saving" Questions
Author: NSSpike

Great subject to get started here!! There are others with more qualified knowledge then me to respond but I'll throw out a few things for discussion.
I know here on the Georgia Division there was some serious complaining by the engineers about the number of units that were on line when they departed Atlanta north bound. And they would and still do from time to time ask for permission to add another unit on line, But I believe it is more a matter of the dispatcher entering that fact into the system to populate the data. Seams most if not all of this has come about as a result of NS re-rating their locomotives. Hope someone will explain this in some detail.
Again GREAT topic to get started here and hope we will get some knowledgeable explanation's!!!

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/19 04:39 by NSSpike.

Date: 09/01/19 08:43
Author: Notch7

Most often you hear the Road Foreman Desk in Atlanta ask that question, and they already know the answer because they are monitoring our lead engine.  They check on mandastory use of PTC, Trip Optimizer, Leader, the Notch 5 bulletin, and the energy management  systems that entail a clear signal only cruise control.  It's a lot to learn and retain.  We are lightly trained on this.  it is distracting.  You have 3 computer screens with constant prompts and reminders.  You monitor all these systems watching for malfunctions that could result in penalty brake actions.  malfunctions are common. You try to find time to watch where you are going. Somebody is always wanting to talk to you on the radio. There's the Alertors failing to sound and activating too often.  More often our dispatchers call to see if we are still moving because we are running  so slow because of the motive power restrictions in his own dispatcher bulletins.  This is the everchanging way they want us to run the trains.  I ran similar trains trains in my youth with 4 SD45's and my big foot on a deadman pedal, faster and wth less hassle, but that was then, and this is now.  

Date: 09/01/19 11:51
Author: The-late-EMD

Are EMD locomotives equipped with GE trip optimizers?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/01/19 14:57
Author: Notch7

The-late-EMD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are EMD locomotives equipped with GE trip
> optimizers?
Early EMD application had WABCO, but now it's all in the PTC screen.

Date: 09/02/19 08:08
Author: Mouse

EMD use "LEADER" . GE uses Trip Optimizer.

Mgnt on a new kick of saving fuel. Regardless of what the crew needs. If the computer says it has enough power, off it goes.
Then the blame starts when it lays down on the line.

Date: 09/02/19 17:34
Author: raytc1944

I remember on Conrail we had "Select-A-Power" which was a panal mounted above the control stand.  On it was a switch for each unit in the consist.  When the engineer did or not need the power of a unit in the consist he would just flip the switch to either take the unit on or off line while never leaving his seat.  It seemed like a good system to save fuel.  

Date: 09/02/19 19:02
Author: JUTower

I was also thinking about Harmon “Select-a-Power” recently. I wonder what ever happened to it, and if we will see a modern replacement.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/02/19 23:38
Author: Foamductor

JUTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was also thinking about Harmon
> “Select-a-Power” recently. I wonder what ever
> happened to it, and if we will see a modern
> replacement.
>
> Posted from iPhone

EMD has "Smart Consist" which basically does something similar for all compatible EMD models. (I have yet to see it in use, and don't know how to use it myself). On the GE side of things Trip Optimizer will run trailing units at different notch settings or even idle them. 

Its been years since I've last seen a unit with one. But in addition to Conrail units, I've seen the select-a-power box on various former SP and SOU units. 

I've heard rumblings that GE Trip Optimizer was supposed to eventually find its way into EMD units, but I don't know how true that actually is because I've not heard it from anyone who would actually be in the know. (GE, Wabtec or EMD employees)

Date: 09/03/19 06:28
Author: Rathole

I constantly hear horror stories from former co-workers about the way things are being run out in the field - horribly micromanaged and people being disciplined relentlessly.  Engineers getting check rides by electronic methods without a road foreman of engines even being on board (I think the FRA should stick their nose in that)  Horribly built trains, but management thinks the fact a DPU is in the consist there should be no train handling problems.  Underpowered trains in the name of fuel savings resulting in slow movers and motive power working its guts out.  I'm glad I'm out of the rat race, because the rats are winning.     

Date: 09/03/19 07:44
Author: engineerinvirginia

I have seen select a power boxes from back when Gonerail was Conrail and we'd occasionally get their power as hp hour repayments.....they were always Dash 7's that barely ran but of course if we had to give them power to repay hours we'd give them smokey Uboats....so it was all fair play. Them were the days when we actually railroaded!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds