Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sugar rush

Date: 11/15/20 17:38
Sugar rush
Author: rbenko

On November 3rd, 2020, USSC GP40-2 #503 (ex-B&M) parts the seemingly endless rows of sugar cane and bears down on the South Shore Blvd crossing just west of South Bay, FL.  I snapped this picture and was able to dart out of the way just before he went screaming through the crossing, horn blasting away in protest.  I believe the conductor yelled something derogatory in my direction as he past by, probably because I wasn't wearing a mask.  All in all, it was worth it just to get this shot, don't you think?

Thanks for viewing.

Rob Benkovitz
West Palm Beach, FL

PS - For those who can't tell, I'm only kidding - 503 was heading away from the camera, albeit at a very decent clip!  But truth be told, I wasn't wearing a mask <gasp>

Date: 11/15/20 18:43
Re: Sugar rush
Author: Gonut1

Great picture and I'm thinking you are not going to contract Covid-19 from fresh air and Sugar Cane.
maybe from idiot railfans not really social distancing but not Sugar Cane.
Go

Date: 11/15/20 21:36
Author: lapklub

When I lived in Palm Beach County I would try to get out to Sugar Country during the sugar season.  In the early years I knew it was there but it seamed so far out there. (It really isn't that far) 
When I learned more of what really goes on I'd try to get out there at least once possibly more during a season.  It's an easy day trip and you can see quite a few trains especially if you are in the right place at the right time.
Usually the are several trains running all day long.  It's possible to ride around and miss everything, but usually there is enough running you can jump around and be well rewarded.
I live in North Carolina now and just made a very quick trip back the Florida and wanted to make a run out there but just couldn't make time to do it this time.  It worked out OK as the weather was very crappy and rainy when I was going to be able go out.  Oh well!!
Sugar country covers quite a bit of area around Lake Okeechobee. There are quite a few loading areas that load the trains. Once loaded they go to Clewiston to the mill. 
If you get the chance to visit the area do it.  They harvest the sugar cane from around October to March.  Usually the weather isn't too bad for the Florida "winter", but in January-March it can be cold if a cold front comes through the area. 
There isn't much to stop the wind!! 
Be careful if you are lucky enough to visit the area.  There are numerous canals that run through the fields. At times they are next to the roads.  They have been known to eat and swallow cars and trucks. 
They are DEEP!!  There have been a few instances where been they have swallowed whole semi trucks!  Also when it starts to get warmer watch out where you step if you happen to be near one of the many canals. They are home to long slithery thing that bite!!
Also the canals are home the alligators.  Be Careful and be aware of your surroundings.  Watch out for the trains also, they can sneak up on you!! 
Mike

Date: 11/16/20 06:55
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a lot of good advice, thanks for sharing it.

The huge area encompasses western Palm Beach county, Hendry County, and Glades County.. The US Sugar and Florida Crystals companies plant their sugar cane to assure a continuous flow of product to the mill.  While the big harvest, and burn-offs, typically run November to March, they are usually harvesting something somewhere most months. Just more difficult to find it off season.

Alligators have been a problem, they make little noise, and they can be very fast.

Date: 11/16/20 09:23
Author: rbenko

Be aware - even though most dirt roads that follow the various lines are not marked with any signs, I've been told to leave a couple of times by USSC security.  Once, when I was on the shoulder of a public road waiting for an approaching train, some USSC security dude came by and wanted to arrest me because he had reports my car was on company property earlier in the day - thankfully a town cop was there as well, and talked him out of it.  This last time, I did a few 'hit and run' drive-ins with no issues (the above is I believe from a public road, but to the south of this crossing, it seemed to just go into the cane fields - again, no signs).  

Below is 503 earlier in the day, switching cars in Clewiston under the waning moon - you can see the engine terminal on the far left.  Again, this is from a public road (Harvest Lane).

Date: 11/16/20 09:34

US Sugar has a lot of influence out in the Glades.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/16/20 10:42
Author: 3rdswitch

That's a nice pair of shots. This operation is on my bucket list.
JB

Date: 11/16/20 13:38
Author: ABB

There's a good article about the Sugar Rush operation in the Nov. issue of Railfan & Railroad magazine.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/16/20 17:13
Author: EL833

Cool photo. I almost always visit the cane operations when I'm in Florida, interesting patterns of trains that criss cross the area. I've caught 3 way meets at the location of your first photo- it's one of the few places to pass longer trains. As for people around the tracks, wait till #148 makes trips- I think I'd wear a mast for sure. I've never been hassled down there but have been asked not venture onto the cane roads. How's the construction coming along on that Belle Glade bypass ?

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 11/16/20 17:14
Author: CP8888

Unfortunately the cane cars are starting to get tagged.This could be a reason USSC security is more uptight about visitors.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/16/20 17:47

USSC also fenced in the locomotive facility in Clewiston last year.  It used to be open, well lighted, and very visible from the public road on the west side.

There's lots to see out on the line, and on the twice weekly (?) trip up to Fort Pierce on the K line.

Date: 11/16/20 19:07
Author: DJ-12

The rule of thumb I had always heard was don’t drive through one of the orange gates, fwiw.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/16/20 21:05
Author: lapklub

It used to be no problem running around out in the sugar fields.  From what I've heard from some of my railfan buddies down there US Sugar security has gotten a little tighter in the last few years.
There are quite a few public roads through the area, but also a lot of dirt roads through the fields. Most aren't marked very well for "No Trespassing", even though you technically are when you leave the paved State and County roads.
No one knew about the area for years.  It has gotten a little more well known in recent years.
Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0712 seconds