Home Open Account Help 154 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Ice, Snow and the NS

Date: 01/05/21 02:21
Ice, Snow and the NS
Author: Q4960

Needless to say that I was a little disappointed yesterday, Monday, January 4th, 2021, would be an understatement!   I had hopes of leaving work earlier to capture the BNSF on the Chilli Sub with all of the snow and ice and out in the country, fog.  Due to the shortened days of winter I wouldn't make it in time except maybe to capture a train or two.  Not worth the trip.  My last duty of the day was to deliver a box of food to a man who had recently been released after a three month stay in the hospital.  I turned my scanner on in hopes of maybe catching a Union Pacific train coming into town.  When I got back into my truck I heard the end of a conversation between a train and a dispatcher, asking for permission to cross their tracks.  I understood what was happening.  The Norfolk Southern crew was asking the UP dispatcher for permission to cross the diamond on Bloomington's west side (Bloomington, Illinois).  The NS crews would call for permission simply because if the UP was occupying the crossing the NS would have quite a few road crossings blocked.  This Norfolk Southern line was part of the Nickel Plate line to Peoria.  This line crossed the old Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, now UP,where the old passenger station and GM&O's division offices were located.  In the first photo, just to the right of the fence, is a bike trail.  This is the remains of the Conrail line that was removed in 1988.  The Peoria & Eastern which paralleled the NKP through the town of Bloomington.  The first two photos were taken at the same location.  The 3rd taken after crossing the UP and approaching Good Yard and later, Peoria.

Roger Holmes

Date: 01/05/21 02:23
Re: Ice, Snow and the NS

Two more of the train, now stopped, waiting to come into Good Yard on Bloomington's west side.

Roger Holmes

Date: 01/05/21 02:43

I forgot to mention. My feelings of disappointment quickly vanished!

RH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/21 02:52 by Q4960.

Date: 01/05/21 07:48
Author: dschlegel

Wow! That’s some serious ice accumulation!!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/05/21 10:02
Author: Tominde

Really nice to look at.  Take your pick, multiple choice for IOTD.

Date: 01/05/21 10:29
Author: robj

Excellent, trees are really bent over.

Bob

Date: 01/05/21 15:37
Author: TheNavigator

Very nice winter images.
GK

Date: 01/05/21 17:44
Author: MEKoch

Roger, for all my time in Bloomington at ISU, I do not remember the site of your first picture, but it captures winter, winter railroading and coming through the neighborhood very well.  

Date: 01/05/21 19:14
Author: pbouzide

Beautiful winter scene, I miss the ice and snow. I especially love #3 with the distant signal adding the only color.

Date: 01/05/21 19:21

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger, for all my time in Bloomington at ISU, I do
> not remember the site of your first picture, but
> it captures winter, winter railroading and coming
> through the neighborhood very well.  

The location in the 1st two photos would be on West Front Street near South Allin Street

Posted from Android

Date: 01/06/21 14:35
Author: bobk

Fantastic shots!

Date: 01/06/21 15:56
Author: Copy19

Stunning.  Is this a great website or what?

JB- Omaha

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds