Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Maryland Midland's Woodsboro branch; PRR heritage and unit trains

Date: 01/14/21 06:10
Maryland Midland's Woodsboro branch; PRR heritage and unit trains
Author: bigsavage

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021, my plans to chase the eastbound stone train (UBST) from the Barrick quarry in Woodsboro, MD. to its terminus in Cedarhurst, MD. ran afoul of clouds, sub-freezing temps, and motive power problems.
The Woodsboro branch consists of 7 miles of x-PRR Frederick secondary trackage starting at Keymar,MD. the only business is the stone train every weekday, and occasional car storage at Woodsboro.
At 9:34 a.m., UBST approaches New Midway, MD., it's 25 degrees, low clouds, and I feel like a popsicle...
By 9:43 UBST has reached the connecting track between the x-PRR and the x-WM MMID mainline near Keymar.
At 9:48 UBST has come off the connector, and is approaching Middleburg, MD. when a malfunction on loco #3450 will require a lengthy pause at the Union Bridge shops.
I decided to await the return trip and more favorable conditions at the Western Maryland Railway H.S. museum in Union Bridge.

Date: 01/14/21 06:19
Re: Maryland Midland's Woodsboro branch; PRR heritage and unit tr

At about 1:30 p.m., the UBST returned, with #3448 substituted for the ailing #3450.
Sunshine and warming temps into the high 40s also promised better photo results.
UBST rumbled across the big x-PRR trestle at Keymar at 1:42.
Approaching New Midway at Baker Road at 1:49

Date: 01/14/21 06:25

UBST drops its empties at the loading track at the quarry at 2:01, then drops down to the RT 550 crossing to run around the empties, and return light to Union Bridge by 2:10.
All photos by Warren W. Jenkins

Date: 01/14/21 06:27
Author: boejoe

Nice series.  How are the empties moved to/from the loader at the quarry?
Stay warm (er)

Date: 01/14/21 08:16
Author: retcsxcfm

Perfect light on image number six.

Uncle Joe

Date: 01/14/21 08:42
Author: WM_1109

Nice work. I especially like the Little Pipe Creek bridge shots, and the shots at the Barrick quarry.
/Ted

Date: 01/14/21 09:21
Author: ClubCar

Very nice photos of the Maryland Midland.  That ex-PRR line still goes up into Taneytown, Maryland I believe and I am wondering if they still have freight customers on that part of the line?  Also the line continues south beyond Woodsboro and is supposed to be operated by the Walkersville Southern Railroad.  Do they actually operate on that part of the line?
Thanks for any information.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/14/21 10:28
Author: JayK

I am aware of two industries on the north end of the former PRR line. Keymar Fertilizer in Keymar and a propane transload facility just north of Taneytown. Both are served by the UBTT (Union Bridge-Taneytown) on an as needed basis

1. Keymar Fertilizer Industries on 2/19/2015
2. Switching at the Taneytown Facility 2/23/2009.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/21 10:34 by JayK.

Date: 01/14/21 11:19

Ferrellgas is located about 1 mile north of Taneytown at the intersection of RT194 and Angell Rd. 
The tracks are abandoned just north of the Angell Rd. crossing
Housing developments are beginning to encroach on this once-rural area.
2/2020 photos by WW Jenkins

Date: 01/14/21 12:57

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Also
> the line continues south beyond Woodsboro and is
> supposed to be operated by the Walkersville
> Southern Railroad.  Do they actually operate on
> that part of the line?
> Thanks for any information.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

By decree of MMID/G&W, WSRR is landlocked, there is about 1.5 miles of "dead" track between the south side of Woodsboro, and a point north of Devilbiss Bridge Rd., which is as far as I have been on a WSRR excursion.
It would be ideal in the near future if WSRR could run into Woodsboro at least occasionally, the southern end of WSRR's trackage below Walkersville is increasingly being impacted by traffic, development, and vandalism.

Date: 01/14/21 14:16
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 01/15/21 00:59
Author: ClubCar

Thank you so much Bigsavage for your information and your photos.  It is appreciated.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/17/21 15:54
Author: TheApostleGreen

Great pictures and description!  Thanks for sharing!  Congrats on IOTD!

~Joe P.
Hainesville, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0859 seconds