Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Branch Line Thunder MA&N

Date: 04/01/21 05:35
Branch Line Thunder MA&N
Author: ut-1

Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern ran its first storage car train of '21 on its 45-mile Utica-Lyons Falls NY line yesterday. The power: Nos. 2042 (MLW/ALCo) and ALCo's 2456, 2453 & 805. The train had 89 cars: 5 bulkhead lumber flats, 1 covered hopper, 1 MOW hopper and 82 tank cars to be stored in Lyons Falls. The 10-mile stretch of track between Boonville-Lyons Falls has only been used in recent years to store cars as the Lyons Falls paper mill went kaput approximately 10 years ago.

This video features scenes of the big branch line freight on Remsen Hill, nearing Egypt Rd, Boonville, crossing the Sugar River, Leyden, along Canal Rd, Port Leyden, crossing Main St, Port Leyden and, finally, in Lyons Falls. 

The engines were re-positioned in Boonville, just north of Potato Hill Road. This then became a 12 mile shove move.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/01/21 07:12
Re: Branch Line Thunder MA&N
Author: ClubCar

Very nice video, thanks for sharing with all of us.  That sure is a lot of tank cars being put into storage, a lot of assets not earning any money, and the railroad cannot find any other customers in the area who could use rail shipments?  Wow!
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/01/21 10:05
Author: dschlegel

Very interesting! We’re headed to the area later this month, can’t wait to explore it and hopefully catch some Alco action!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/01/21 10:32
Author: perklocal

Neat to see that BCOL reunion of power. Also nice to see those C425s still going strong after being repatriated back down to the States.

Date: 04/01/21 10:53
Author: rbx551985

The first 4 cars were interesting: Bulkhead flats with side stakes, painted in an almost (--almost--) Penn Central/NYC jade green, and similar to other cars of that basic type seen up and down the east coast daily on CSX mainline freights......

Date: 04/01/21 17:10
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!

Date: 04/01/21 18:37
Author: Roadbed

Very nice video. Curious that the tank cars still had their placards on them. Is that common for storage cars?

Date: 04/02/21 07:36
Author: zoohogger

Congrats on VOTD. It is very interesting, I love the sound of jointed rail and the Alcos. 

Many tanks,

Rick Z

Yeah, i know, cheap laugh. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/21 07:37 by zoohogger.

Date: 04/02/21 08:01
Author: RNP47

zoohogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats on VOTD. It is very interesting, I love
> the sound of jointed rail and the Alcos. 
>
>
>
> Many tanks,
>
> Rick Z
>
>
>
>
> Yeah, i know, cheap laugh. 

Hardee har har... Well... you made me laugh at least!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds