Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > How busy is CN's Bessemer Sub?

Date: 04/17/21 07:39
How busy is CN's Bessemer Sub?
Author: pilotblue

Hey Gang,

Maybe some locals can give me current info on CN's Bessemer Sub? How busy, what kind of trains, what type of power, that sort of thing. Any best photo spots, "must see" items along the right of way, gotta eat here, depots, museums, all helpful.

I was planing on railfanning CN in Ontario this summer but it doesn't look like the border will be opening up anytime soon. I thought I might railfan the CN Bessemer sub instead, starting in Conneaut and working my way south. How often does Conneaut get an ore ship? I'm guessing that's the biggest driver of activity on the line.

All help much appreciated!

Date: 04/17/21 09:42
Re: How busy is CN's Bessemer Sub?
Author: Asheville_G

1 Train each way, plus possibly a Misc job 2-3 days a week.  Others can chime in on the current schedule, but I believe the SB out of the docks is before sunrise, and the northbound arrives after dark (I believe the NB is leaving North Bess around 10:30-11:30 am these days).  Power is CN SD70M-2's on the ore runs unless you get super lucky and get an extra or, or the Misc job.  Power is usually two on the front, two on the back.

Based on the schedule, your best bet is to photograph the train between Conneaut Lake/Greenville and North Bessemer and then follow the train back to Greenville once they leave North Bessemer.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/21 09:44 by Asheville_G.

Date: 04/17/21 12:51
Author: PRR_4859

Is the line still equipped with CTC? I think it is dispatched from Homewood, IL.

Date: 04/17/21 13:43
Author: pennsy3750

In 2007, CN's suburban Detroit dispatching offices were open for tours as part of the NMRA Convention; at the time that office dispatched the former B&LE.  Could have changed since then though.

Date: 04/17/21 14:38
Author: toledopatch

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 2007, CN's suburban Detroit dispatching offices
> were open for tours as part of the NMRA
> Convention; at the time that office dispatched the
> former B&LE.  Could have changed since then
> though.

All of the dispatching functions performed in that office are now at Homewood.

Date: 04/18/21 03:15
Author: DJ-12

Ashville’s summary is correct. There is a late afternoon crew out of Greenville daily with mty hoppers, usually between 4-5 PM. Later this summer I’d imagine you would have shootable light all the way to Conneaut. This crew flood loads their train around the loop at Conneaut at night and returns to Greenville before dawn. I assume they tie down/recrew at Kremis.

The southbound crew reliably departs Kremis about 7AM-7:15. They usually arrive at North Bessemer 9:30-9:45 and flip north with an empty train between 11 and noon to go back to Greenville and repeat the cycle all over again.

The ore train runs 2x2 CN 8800 series SDs.

There is a 2-3 times a week local which usually is a handful of cars lead by some combo of the remaining smaller SDs including BLE 862, 868, 905. It tends to leave Greenville late morning and often will meet the northbound ore mtys. It usually turns at Butler but occasionally will work south to North Bessemer. A couple times a month this power will work north to Girard and also handle work train duties.

The entire line is still CTC, protected by lineside and suddenly somewhat rare searchlight signals. This line may be one of the last fully intact searchlight signal systems left in the US.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/21 03:22 by DJ-12.

Date: 04/18/21 09:51
Author: DevalDragon

toledopatch Wrote:
> pennsy3750 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In 2007, CN's suburban Detroit dispatching
> offices
> > were open for tours as part of the NMRA
> > Convention; at the time that office dispatched
> the
> > former B&LE.  Could have changed since then
> > though.
>
> All of the dispatching functions performed in that
> office are now at Homewood.
>  

And some days Gary.

Date: 04/18/21 10:52
Author: toledopatch

DevalDragon Wrote:
> toledopatch Wrote:
> -----
> > pennsy3750 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > In 2007, CN's suburban Detroit dispatching
> > offices
> > > were open for tours as part of the NMRA
> > > Convention; at the time that office
> dispatched
> > the
> > > former B&LE.  Could have changed since then
> > > though.
> >
> > All of the dispatching functions performed in
> that
> > office are now at Homewood.
> >  
>
>
> And some days Gary.

Good point. I have heard the dispatchers identifying as being at Kirk of late.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1336 seconds