Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfanning around Nashville, TN

Date: 05/03/21 08:39
Railfanning around Nashville, TN
Author: Fred

Will be in Nashville the 1st week in June, will have some time in the mid to late afternoon for some railfanning. Any good suggestions?
Thanks

Date: 05/03/21 08:48
Re: Railfanning around Nashville, TN
Author: djh4d

A quick search of this site will yield you lots of good information.

-Dave

Date: 05/04/21 04:30
Re: Railfanning around Nashville, TN
Author: rbx551985

When I lived in east Nashville during 1994 and 1995, I discovered a railfan hangout that may or may not still be there.  It's a bridge above the north end of CSX's Radnor Yard, the departure tracks:  Peachtree St.  In that time, the sidewalks across the bridge above the yard ladder were unusually wide and railfans would often hang out there to watch the action.  There is also Harding Place overpass at the south end of the bowl, overlooking the actual hump, where the mainline to the south curves around and under the bridge; I believe there still may be safe places to stand or sit, and watch that action - mainline trains passing while other, inbound trains are being shoved over the Radnor hump.

Then, downtown, there's the Kayne Ave. Tower area, in the vicinity of the Charlotte Ave. overpass, which affords views of mainline trains coming around two legs of the downtown Wye:  to-from the west (to Memphis), and to-from the north (Louisville, KY).

Those were my favorite areas to railfan; I hope they're still there and are still safe and/or accesible.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds