Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > UP power in the south

Date: 06/23/21 15:36
UP power in the south
Author: highgreengraphics

The sun sets on the Tennessee River at Decatur, AL as a southbound CSX manifest pulled by five big UP motors rolls off the lift bridge and approach spans on a waning May 30, 2021. Considering the American Civil War history of this area, this UNION sight with American flags flying on their flanks seems amost incongruous. After all, there is the 1833 Old State Bank building almost a stones throw away with bullet pockmarks still in it from the Battle of Decatur from the same period General Sherman marched through the south destroying most of everything in his path. Of course, UP's main line in Wyoming goes over Sherman Hill, or Pass, in the Sherman Mountains, all named after General Sherman. Time marches on... === === = === JLH

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/21 17:23 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 06/23/21 16:21
Re: UP power in the south
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice image. I see you have traveled east. Have a pleasant visit.
John

Date: 06/23/21 16:34
Author: refarkas

Well-crafted image.
Bob

Date: 06/23/21 16:43
Author: Heath_Tower

Great image and historical infomation. I researched the Civil War heritage of Decatur and what I didn't know was Confederate
general Hood was going to attack Sherman's corps in 1864 but failed due to the Tennesee River being a barrier and supply (logistics) problems,
Sherman's army chased Hood to Gaylesville then doubled back to Atlanta , after the battle then beginning his March to the Sea, to Savannah.

No march through Alabama to the sea. Hope to read amplifications or corrections to my comments regarding this battle and Decatur
during the Civil War...

Date: 06/25/21 09:14
Author: SP8595

Great shot!

Date: 06/25/21 13:40
Author: King_Coal

Very nice photo. Interesting angle.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds