Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Questions about Florida sugar cane railroads

Date: 07/22/21 05:33
Questions about Florida sugar cane railroads
Author: 2839Canadian

Where are the best places to see sugar cane lines in Florida?

Are there many still opertating?

Thanks in advance.

Date: 07/22/21 06:15
Re: Questions about Florida sugar cane railroads
Author: Lackawanna484

The US Sugar operations center on Clewiston, and radiate from there. The engine house and main mill are located there.

The peak season for sugar cane harvesting is usually January through March, but some harvesting occurs all year. There are always trains in motion.

Most of the feeder lines are close to roads. In my experience, security is fair as long as you don't trespass.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/22/21 11:06
Author: PlyWoody

The only cane by rail is at Byant, and Clewiston both US Sugar Co.  The words on their steam engine tender is "We Raise Cane" (especially when you trespass on their property).

Railfan magazine a while back had article and map of the two separate operations which are only connected using the common carrier, South Central Florida Express Co.  That company is owned by USSC and connects with the FEC at Fort Pierce, and the other end connects with the CSX.

To see where the track go use Google aerial photos.  There are always changes to their lines and there are plans to connect the two separate operations.  Get good maps that show legal public highways as you can not use the dirt roads owned by the Sugar Co.  Comply to the postings.

I just googled it rr name and railfan magazine. Nov 2020 issue.
https://railfan.com/sugar-rush-in-south-florida/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/21 16:56 by PlyWoody.

Date: 07/22/21 12:35
Author: Lackawanna484

The other mill on the US Sugar lines is at South Bay.

In general, the main focus is a crescent from North of Moore Haven South and East to Pahokee. Many branches off the main rail trunk.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/23/21 09:47
Author: jtar463

When I was down there a couple of years ago, Moore Haven was a great place to watch and take photos.  There is a giant road bridge (south? of the rail bridge) with a public walkway that lets you shoot trains going accross the railroad bridge with a background of the lock out of Lake Okeechobee.  You can also catch their Sebring turn there as well that has some general freight.  I also saw the potash turn going across the bridge to pick up covered hoppers and then back down to the nearby Wedgworth Fertilizer plant.  And there was some nice bird watching of Ospreys and Black Vultures while I waited.
John T.

Date: 07/23/21 20:00
Author: 2720

Love the buzzard photo, their just waiting for lunch to ferment a little longer!

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1354 seconds