Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Middle of NS B Line to a trail?

Date: 07/21/21 19:10
Middle of NS B Line to a trail?
Author: holiwood

This evening I viewed a webinar put on by VA Dept of Conservation and Recreation about turning the 
B Line from Riverton Jct to Broadway, VA into a trail.   They have a plan and support for it. They have
done a study of the line.   NS has not given indication if they want to give it up and they do not know
if abandonment will be approved.
There are no customers on this part of the track.  The last customer was the printing press in Strasburg,
that closed last year.  The diamond in Riverton Jct was taken out when NS cleaned up the derailment 
there a few months ago.   
I don't like this, think it is short sighted and will hurt chances to get any good industry in Shenandoah
County.  

hollywood
NS B Line MP 74 

Date: 07/21/21 19:51
Re: Middle of NS B Line to a trail?
Author: RuleG

holiwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
  NS has not given
> indication if they want to give it up and they do
> not know
> if abandonment will be approved.

Who is the "they" who do not know if abandonment of the railroad line will be approved,  the Virginia Dept of Conservation & Recreastion or Norfolk Southern? 

Date: 07/21/21 20:45
Author: holiwood

Va Dept of Conservation and Recreation is the "they" that put on the Webinar   

NS was not a part of the webinar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/21 20:57 by holiwood.

Date: 07/22/21 04:51
Author: junctiontower

I love how all of these government types and special interest groups put out all these grand plans involving someone else's property, without ever asking the owner if they are the slightest bit interested in seeing the plan happen.  In the midwest, the high speed rail idiots come out of the woodwork every year or two to pitch a plan to turn the former Pennsy across northern Indiana into a HSR route.  The only problem is, (besides lack of need and a lack of money) is that I have yet to ever see them ask CSX the owner, and G&W the lease holder if they are interested in having their property turned upside down to suit someone else's desires. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/21 05:31 by junctiontower.

Date: 07/22/21 05:43
Author: MattW

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love how all of these government types and
> special interest groups put out all these grand
> plans involving someone else's property, without
> ever asking the owner if they are the slightest
> bit interested in seeing the plan happen.  In the
> midwest, the high speed rail idiots come out of
> the woodwork every year or two to pitch a plan to
> turn the former Pennsy across northern Indiana
> into a HSR route.  The only problem is, (besides
> lack of need and a lack of money) is that I have
> yet to ever see them ask CSX the owner, and G&W
> the lease holder if they are interested in having
> their property turned upside down to suit someone
> else's desires. 

Something similar happened here in Atlanta with CSX's Hulsey yard. When the yard shut down, the Usual Suspects(TM) came crawling out of the woodwork to "reimagine" the old yard into a new urbanist's paradise. That's not too bad, dreams are good. What was bad, was when the Atlanta City Council started drafting ordinances on land use in Hulsey. CSX promptly shut that down by declaring they were going to reactivate the yard as a TRANSFLO facility.

Date: 07/22/21 06:47
Author: AVR3001

Something similar happened here in Pittsburgh, PA.  My wife was a member of Venture Outdoors and we did hikes they sponsored.  We attended a meeting at which they presented a plan for a trail along the Allegheny River.  The illustrations ignored and the presentation was silent on the fact that it was an active line of railroad, which the railroad had no intention of abandoning or converting to a trail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds