Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Carolina Coastal on 7/19/21

Date: 07/29/21 04:40
Carolina Coastal on 7/19/21
Author: Asheville_G

I had to be in the eastern part of North Carolina last Sunday evening/Monday morning before heading back home.  Decided to work my schedule so I could rise and shine early Monday and go chase Carolina Coastal's 120 job EB from Wilson to Chocowinity, NC.  I awoke at 5:00 am to the sounds of pouring rain on the tin roof of my fathers house in Washington, which (for a sun worshipper like myself) made it very difficult to get motivated.  

I decided to make the best of it.  Here are a couple of shots of the EB 120.

1:  CLNA 120 approaches Chocowinity passing some old farm equipment.

2:  CLNA (drone) passing the site of the old Singer plant in Chocowinity.  The plant has been closed nearly 25 years but the water tank is still holding on.  A keen eye will locate a couple of caboose cabs on the site.  Used as offices for a scrap dealer if I recall correctly.

3:  CLNA 120 passes the yard board at Greenville, NC (next to the ECU PIrates football stadium.

Grady McKinley
Asheville, NC 

Date: 07/29/21 06:47
Re: Carolina Coastal on 7/19/21
Author: refarkas

Well-crafted scenes.
Bob

Date: 07/29/21 07:08
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice. Another road I did not know existed.
JB

Date: 07/29/21 10:16
Author: ctillnc

Runs over the ex-original NS between Raleigh and Plymouth, with a branch to Belhaven. The Raleigh end is mostly dormant. CLNA also operates the ex-ACL from Rocky Mount westward toward Spring Hope.

Date: 07/29/21 10:24
Author: MacBeau

Nice material, any clue as to the history of the two GPs?
—Mac

Date: 07/29/21 10:39
Author: jgilmore

Really good series, thanks!

JG

Date: 07/29/21 10:41
Author: ns2557

MacBeau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice material, any clue as to the history of the
> two GPs?
> —Mac

The 4624 looks to be an ex GT GP9 rebuild. Ben

Date: 07/29/21 16:55
Author: boejoe

I found the caboose bodies dead center (would have probably missed them if not for your clue).  The one on the left is ex-British Columbia Rwy as I recall and the white one on the right is ex-SOO Line.  I recognize them as being part of a group of cabooses that were stored in Greenville NC for a few years a while back.  I understand they were moved there from storage along the original NS in the Raleigh NC area.
jb 

Date: 07/29/21 18:12
Author: WP921

Thank you for posting this Grady.  It brought back some great memories.  In 2018, my Late Father and I were in North Carolina and Virginia to visit his dying sister and brother, respectively.  We went through Chocowinity and stopped at the Junction of Carolina Coastal and Norfolk Southern, just off North Carolina State Route 33.  We saw the Norfolk Southern Yard Office, a pair of Norfolk Southern units tied down nearby, and the wye.  There was no Carolina Coastal equipment in evidence that day, but it looked like a neat operation.  Shortly after we left North Carolina, my Aunt died, and shortly after we returned to California, my Uncle Died.  My Father himself passed away in 2019, but I will always treasure that trip with him to see firsthand the railroads of his youth.  The company names had changed, but a lot of the trackage remained.

Gary Sugg
Glendora, CA

Date: 07/31/21 16:32
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4602 seconds