Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Indiana Rail Road Senate Avenue Yard (Indianapolis) Questions

Date: 07/29/21 03:18
Indiana Rail Road Senate Avenue Yard (Indianapolis) Questions
Author: wabash2800

This map is on Indiana Rail Road's website. Aside from noticing the historic changes in the yard leads and yard, I am wondering how an inbound train is switched. Also, would the train switch itself or is there a switch engine that also services the nearby industries?

Also, are there any photos and/or diagrams of this yard from Illinois Central steam days? I love railroad nicknames for tracks. Anyone know why the one track is nicknamed the Valley? The interchange with the Indianapolis Union, which is overhead, is fascinating too.

Victor

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/21 17:58 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/29/21 06:21
Re: Indiana Rail Road Senate Street Yard (Indianapolis) Questions
Author: grlhughes

SAHW is usually made up and put out by Epler Ave to go south. I remember there being a transfer to the CSX Avon Yard via the Indianapolis Belt trackage. Louisville and Indiana interchange south of the W Raymond Ave/Bluff Rd intersection.I use to see a local working Venture Logistics Rail Warehouse on Division St.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/29/21 09:25

Thanks. I can see a train north of Epler Avenue here and then follow the tracks all the way up to the Senate Street Yard.

WestRock Recycling - Google Maps

I don't model Indiana Railroad or the IC but am designing a small yard for a branchline. This kind of thing gives me ideas but sure would like to see the steam era version.

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/21 11:04 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/30/21 13:06
Author: 3rdswitch

Talk about a dead end operation, LOOKS LIKE there is no way out of there except the way you came in!
JB

Date: 07/30/21 17:08
Author: IC1038west

Inbound trains were usually dutch cut into Senate Avenue because the tail track only allowed room for the power to run back to Raymond St for the balance of its train. Small capacity for small thinkers when ICG dumped the Indianapolis cash cow in 1986. The regional made do with the restrictions they were handed.

Date: 07/30/21 17:35
Author: LX15840

There used to be a small "piggyback" yard where Lucas Oil Stadium now stands. Before that there was a tie-in to Union Station where IC passenger trains to Bloomington and Effingham IL departed or arrived. A wooden trestle carried the main line all the way from Senate St. yard to Union Station. That is why the I-70 bridge is about 15 feet higher that it needs to be at that point, To my knowledge there never was a train that passed under the bridge. In the US hundreds of millions was spent building highway structures that never saw a train. 

Date: 07/30/21 22:36

I believe the yard tracks are used more for storage of commodities in rail cars for customers rather than classification--kinda like a warehouse. Also, I would suppose the coal trains would have no reason to use this yard, though motive power might be stored and serviced here.

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/21 22:59 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/31/21 08:08
Author: junctiontower

Well, there are no longer any coal trains to use the yard anyway. Among other things, I've seem them load and unload containers in the yard.  Other than maybe some fueling, I don't think there is any engine servicing done at Senate Avenue.  I think all power gets cycled back to Jasonville for service.

Date: 08/02/21 22:22

Yes, I was referring to fuel, sand, etc., not maintenance.

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/21 22:25 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/06/21 18:15

indiana rail road - Google Maps

I went back and looked via Google Maps (click above). There have been some changes from the map. Note that the Indianapolis Union Railway is only one track. Note also that if you get down to the street view at the corner of South Senate Ave. and Wisconsin Street, there appears to be a railroad depot. Is this an Illinois Central structure or something else?

Click here:  1298 S Senate Ave - Google Maps

Did the original Indiana Rail Road book have any IC photos from the era with steam yard, roundhouse, etc?

Victor

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/21 19:42 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds