Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Southern Ry heritage unit 8099 maybe damaged beyond repair.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/15/21 13:39
NS Southern Ry heritage unit 8099 maybe damaged beyond repair.
Author: PlyWoody

Wrecked Norfolk Southern GE ES44AC #8099, the 2012 Southern Railway Heritage unit, lies on its side, after striking a rockslide on the Mon Line while leading an eastbound intermodal train through Baldwin, PA Sunday a.m., just up the Monongahela River from Pittsburgh toward Homestead. The three NS crew members survived, with no specific injuries reported to public.

The newspaper article added “The rock slide occurred after a day of strong winds and occasional heavy rain that dumped more than a half-inch in some areas".

So, why can’t the NS Dispatcher office note the weather and assign the extra inspection as the rule require?

If you read the rules, this looks to be FRA violation #239.01: Failure to make special inspection when required.    “$213.239 Special Inspection – In the event of Fire, flood, severe storm or other occurrence which might have damaged track structure, a special inspection must be made of the track involved as soon as possible after the occurrence.”

The question was posted regarding the need of a track inspector riding ahead of every train.  Yes , complying to this rule, may require a track patrol ahead of every train, or even post a employee inspector on the site of the problem full time: 24-7.  That is what safety involves.

Date: 12/15/21 13:56
Re: NS Southern Ry heritage unit 8099 maybe damaged beyond repair
Author: altoonafn

Is there any evidence that such an inspection was not performed, as you imply?

Date: 12/15/21 14:01
Author: bath_wildcat

The pictures I've seen from online of the NS 8099 do not look too bad. Yes there needs repairs done, but look at how bad NS 4001 was wrecked and it was repaired, considering it used to be a C40-9 prior to being rebuilt and converted.

I wouldn't worry about it getting scrapped, 8175 on the other hand, that one might be the goner.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 12/15/21 14:01
Author: Rathole

Has it ever occurred to you that the boulder could have rolled off the hill 2 minutes behind a hi-rail?  How do you know the track wasn't patrolled?   Based on your past posts of railroading perfection, I feel certain this would not have happened if you'd been in charge,  

Date: 12/15/21 14:04
Author: ns7500

To be fair assuming something without actual facts is pointless u can't even belive anything online bc not even 24hrs after the wreck people were spreading rumors about it being scrapped honestly it pathetic.. Accident is under investigation and 8099 can't be touched until investigation is completed..and u can't blame NS for rockslide bc of rain seriously Learn railroading 101

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/21 14:11 by ns7500.

Date: 12/15/21 14:55
Author: ns1000

PlyWoody wrote:
>
> The question was posted regarding the need of a
> track inspector riding ahead of every train.  Yes
> , complying to this rule, may require a track
> patrol ahead of every train, or even post a
> employee inspector on the site of the problem full
> time: 24-7.  That is what safety involves.
>  

Shaking my head. Here we go again....

8099 faired better than 8175.

In response to the comment above...

In case it was missed (???), the words/phrases "PSR" and "adequate staffing" is a CONTRADICTION of terms.....

And yes, DON'T "ASSUME"....

Posted from Android

Date: 12/15/21 15:07
Author: ALCO630

I missed the connection between not patrolling the track and the unit being beyond repair.

Posted from iPhone

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 12/15/21 15:16
Author: reel_smooth

ALCO630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I missed the connection between not patrolling
> the track and the unit being beyond repair.
>
> Posted from iPhone

And here I thought it was just me ..........

Date: 12/15/21 15:44
Author: Cole42

reel_smooth Wrote:
> ALCO630 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I missed the connection between not patrolling
> > the track and the unit being beyond repair.
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
>
> And here I thought it was just me ..........

Click bait comes to TO

Date: 12/15/21 16:27
Author: bath_wildcat

The people saying that NS 8099 is beyond repair and scrapped are likely some of the most immature railfans I have ever seen. This type of group loves to troll others, make fake profiles (I know they tried that crap with me a few weeks ago whee one said You're NEXT!), hack facebook groups, delete facebook groups while having a good laugh at everyone elses mercy. 

I have two names that come to mind-Ian Cole and Eric Hudson.  In fact I had Eric Hudson harrasing me in my official capacity while working last week. The messages were private, however they show intent to cause harm. They were pretty bad to where I had no choice but to block him. Technically, and last I checked hacking is still a crime, albeit a federal one at that. 

I wisht there was a way to wipe the internet of trolls like them, and hoping at some point that they get exactly what they deserve, while I sit trackside watching the KARMA train run their candied rear ends over with everything KARMA has and then some. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 12/15/21 17:41
Author: wabash2800

Oh the drama. The loco cost a lot of money. It's likely not "totaled".

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/21 18:28 by wabash2800.

Date: 12/15/21 17:55
Author: altoonafn

Is it possible that the City of Pittsburgh did not maintain the hillside, causing this derailment?

NS sued the city in 2018 over a similar occurrence. 

https://archive.triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/norfolk-southern-sues-pittsburgh-over-costs-of-2016-landslides/

Date: 12/15/21 18:31
Author: Drone_Pilot_Mike

I predict 8099 and 8175 will sit in Altoona Pa for a long time before they are repaired   

Date: 12/15/21 18:36
Author: twropr

Guys in the peanut gallery who make posts such as:"Based on your past posts of railroading perfection, I feel certain this would not have happened if you'd been in charge,"  
"seriously Learn railroading 101"
What are you adding to what otherwise could have been a good exhange of information?  It's OK to raise legitimate questions about a poster's information, but there's no need to be disrespectful in doing so.  It's just plain rude.  There may be some knowledgable railroaders and tech savy folks who no longer share interesting/helpful information on this and the passenger forum due to having been discouraged by those who take cheap shots for no reason other than their own self satisfaction.
Peanut gallery - either post useful/encouraging comments, or start your own forum where you can entertain yourselves.
Andy

Date: 12/15/21 18:42
Author: Typhoon

PlyWoody Wrote:

> So, why can’t the NS Dispatcher office note the
> weather and assign the extra inspection as the
> rule require?

I doubt the NS dispatch office "assigns extra inspections".

Date: 12/15/21 18:55
Author: DevalDragon

twropr Wrote:
> Guys in the peanut gallery who make posts such
> as:"Based on your past posts of railroading
> perfection, I feel certain this would not have
> happened if you'd been in charge,"  
> "seriously Learn railroading 101"
> What are you adding to what otherwise could have
> been a good exhange of information?  It's OK to
> raise legitimate questions about a poster's
> information, but there's no need to be
> disrespectful in doing so.  It's just plain
> rude.  There may be some knowledgable railroaders
> and tech savy folks who no longer share
> interesting/helpful information on this and the
> passenger forum due to having been discouraged by
> those who take cheap shots for no reason other
> than their own self satisfaction.
> Peanut gallery - either post
> useful/encouraging comments, or start your own
> forum where you can entertain yourselves.
> Andy

I fail to see the good exchange of information. This post started out with some facts about NS 8099 being damaged but the OP started drawing erroneous conclusions based on thier opinion which snowballed from there.

When folks start posting opinions, especially ones not founded in reality or in a realm they are not experienced in, threads can and do deteriorate rapidly.

If the OP would have stuck to the facts without going in to a personal tirade this thread would be a lot more civil.

Date: 12/15/21 19:09
Author: cinder

So ...... "OP" is short for "Original Poster"?  Who knew?  This post might be popular on CNN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/21 10:22 by cinder.

Date: 12/15/21 19:58
Author: santafe199

ALCO630 Wrote: > … I missed connection…

Connection??? Senor Plybonehead don’t need no stinkin’ connection!

(although I’m happy he’s giving the Western forum a break)

Date: 12/15/21 20:17
Author: Rathole

Mr. Andy, you've obviously never read Plywoody's previous posts in which he's been taken to task for outlandish statements and theories.  Heck, he even prevented disaster in the past by finding a sunkink - while riding with a track supervisor looking for them.  He's told us how to cool the rails and prevent a sunkink by spraying cold water on the rails ahead of a train.   We've learned new ways to start stalled trains on a grade and all kinds of other really neat-o things!   

Signed,
Peanut Gallery

==================================================================================================================================================================================  

twropr Wrote:
> Guys in the peanut gallery who make posts such
> as:"Based on your past posts of railroading
> perfection, I feel certain this would not have
> happened if you'd been in charge,"  
> "seriously Learn railroading 101"

> Andy

Date: 12/15/21 20:46
Author: santafe199

Rathole Wrote: > … Mr. Andy … obviously never read Plywoody's previous … neat-o things!   

I’ll heartily agree. The barrage of bonehead claims foisted by this guy upon this website can be as unending as they are outrageous. There are quite a few experienced, competent RRers here on TO. None of the ones I’ve talked to ever take this guy seriously…

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.09 seconds