Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Canadian Cab at Dawn

Date: 01/15/22 10:20
Canadian Cab at Dawn
Author: tuxedorailfan

1/15/2022

KCS 2919, a 48 year old GP40-2LW, idles away at the Meridian, MS Yard on this cold January morning. 

The 2919 began life as CN 9496 in September of 1974. The unit remained on the CN roster until the mid 90's when KCS bought a small fleet of these "Canadian Cab" units. Most were rebuilt, if I'm not mistaken, at MRL's Livingston Rebuild Center in Livingston, MT. During the rebuild process, CN 9496 became KCS 4721. The "new to KCS" unit had dynamic brakes added, headlight relocated to the top of the cab, a Pyle GyraLite added to the nose, ditch lights, a Nathan P5 horn, and a fresh coat of KCS grey with yellow stripes. 

In late 2007, KCS 4721 would be renumbered to the 2919. By this time, the GyraLite had long since been removed and a plate was added in its place. The unit would retain this rough and ragged appearance until the Summer of 2017 when it received a small rebuild. During this second rebuild, the 2919 had the cab redone again, but with more modern appliances. PTC, cameras, a Nathan K5LA horn, and air conditioning was added. As well as a fresh coat of the beautiful KCS "Southern Belle" paint scheme. Of note, the 2919 is still one of the few Canadian Cab Geep's on the KCS roster to get air conditioning. I know this is shocking news to here in 2022, but yes, KCS still has a few units on the roster that lack AC. You can tell in the summer when the crews have the doors and windows wide open...

I've always enjoyed seeing these Geep's. Growing up I used to see them pulling the hottest pig trains on the KCS, now they're relegated to local and yard service. Either way, I'm happy to capture a shot of another one. 

Enjoy!
-Dylan 

Date: 01/15/22 10:24
Re: Canadian Cab at Dawn
Author: perklocal

Great Looking Geep.  Fantastic Composition !

Date: 01/15/22 10:28
Author: pbouzide

Ice photo, nice narrative. 

Date: 01/15/22 12:38
Author: steamloco

That's a nice picture.

Date: 01/15/22 15:27
Author: gbmott

I remember how, as we watched steam die in the early 50's, we confidently proclaimed that the railroads would be sorry because diesels would never last like steam engines!  We.., . . . . 

-- Gordon

Date: 01/15/22 18:02
Author: jbohdan2

Super shot.

Date: 01/15/22 18:20
Author: DavidP

Nice shot!  Other members of the CN GP40-2LW class are a common sight in the Boston area, both on the MBTA and Pan Am Railways.

Dave

Date: 01/15/22 23:57
Author: Ron

tuxedorailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1/15/2022
> The 2919 began life as CN 9496 in September of 1974. The unit remained on the CN roster until the mid 90's when KCS bought a small fleet of these "Canadian Cab" units.
> Most were rebuilt, if I'm not mistaken, at MRL's Livingston Rebuild Center in Livingston, MT. During the rebuild process, CN 9496 became KCS 4721. The "new to KCS" unit had dynamic brakes added, headlight relocated to the
> top of the cab, a Pyle GyraLite added to the nose, ditch lights, a Nathan P5 horn, and a fresh coat of KCS grey with yellow stripes.

Photographer: Robert Farkas
Date: 08/06/1987
Railway: Canadian National
Reporting Marks: CN 9496
Copyright Notice: This image ©Robert Farkas all rights reserved.

Ron

Date: 01/16/22 10:58
Author: tuxedorailfan

Ron,

That’s awesome! You have probably one of the last shots of 9496 before going on the used market. Neat!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/22 10:58 by tuxedorailfan.

Date: 01/16/22 19:23
Author: Ron

tuxedorailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ron,
>
> That’s awesome! You have probably one of the last shots of 9496 before going on the used market. Neat!

Thanks..... it's not mine though.....

Photographer: Robert Farkas
Date: 08/06/1987
Railway: Canadian National
Reporting Marks: CN 9496
Copyright Notice: This image ©Robert Farkas all rights reserved.

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds