Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question about the CN in Chicago

Date: 05/10/22 17:01
Question about the CN in Chicago
Author: Mautner

Gonna be in Chicago next week a few days.I am thinking of riding the Metra Electric to either Kennsington or Matteson to photograph some CN trains. My question is which location sees more freight activity and which is is better for photography in the afternoon hours? Thanks Mike

Mike Mautner
Maryland Hts., MO

Date: 05/10/22 17:17
Re: Question about the CN in Chicago
Author: MEKoch

I personally like Mundelein on the Soo Line route of Metra.  Interesting Metra trip out there, and then the Mundelein station is quiet and safe with decent afternoon sun angles.  You also can walk to local food & beverage.  

Date: 05/10/22 18:53
Author: joeljs66

Matteson has the most traffic for sure.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/10/22 19:02
Author: calumet

Yes, Matteson has more traffic, plus a good view of the connection to the CN/EJE.  The Metra boarding platform offers a veiw as good if not better than the railfan viewing area.

Date: 05/10/22 20:12
Author: DevalDragon

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally like Mundelein on the Soo Line route
> of Metra.  Interesting Metra trip out there, and
> then the Mundelein station is quiet and safe with
> decent afternoon sun angles.  You also can walk
> to local food & beverage.  

Unfortunately that's not possible to do without an overnight stay. Metra's North Central Service isn't what it it used to be

Date: 05/11/22 07:53
Author: NIL3880

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MEKoch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I personally like Mundelein on the Soo Line
> route
> > of Metra.  Interesting Metra trip out there,
> and
> > then the Mundelein station is quiet and safe
> with
> > decent afternoon sun angles.  You also can
> walk
> > to local food & beverage.  
>
>
> Unfortunately that's not possible to do without an
> overnight stay. Metra's North Central Service
> isn't what it it used to be

Before I would get a hotel, a Cab/Taxi/Uber etc to Libertyville and return to the city on the MILW North would be my plan. 

Date: 05/11/22 08:37
Author: kbmiflyer

Matteson is definitely busier, since you have the EJE belt line in addition to the former IC.  There is a nice railfan park there along the IC / EJE connection.

Homewood is also a good spot, just up the IC and Metra Electic line from Matteson.  Less traffic since you only get the IC line, but the station is at the entrance of Markham yard so you can observe some yard action, and there is a small IC static display.  There is a small railfan park on the east side of everything (accessible through a commuter tunnel), but I have generally found the far north end of the Metra platform better for pictures.  The Amtrak platform is slightly east of the Metra platform, is lower and right in the mix of the freight action, but not sure it is considered available to the public when an Amtrak train is not scheduled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/22 08:42 by kbmiflyer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds