Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/11/22 10:41
NS Wreck Columbia, SC
Author: sp8192

Date: 07/11/22 10:47
Re: NS Wreck Columbia, SC
Author: scraphauler

NS 238 is derailed in Columbia SC with injury to crew unfortunately - both taken to local hospital.   Lead 2 locomotives are on their side, trailing locomotive (GP60 7119) is sideways, head several wells are sideways or truned over.  Reports are train sideswiped a derailed industrial locomotive on industry track that was fouling mainline.  Train derails in Columbia causing injuries and fuel spill, fire department says (msn.com)   WATCH: Railway workers injured in Columbia train derailment (wistv.com)

Date: 07/11/22 13:49
Author: ctillnc

Train was headed to Charleston. 

Date: 07/11/22 17:06
Author: boejoe

I have not seen nor heard a report on the two NS crewmen taken to the hospital.
Anybody have an update?
I understand the 'industrial' loco belonged to a pasta factory. 
Anybody know the name of the company or make/model of the switcher?

Date: 07/11/22 18:41

Last update from NS earlier this afternoon said crew remained hospitalized at that time. Have not heard anything else.  Company is Tree House Foods.  Columbia plant is their American Italian Pasta Compamy. Website says they make private brand dry pasta for multiple companies.   They have 2 SWs - an old SW-1 (blue with white stripe) and a newer either SW1500 or MP15 - appears to be in patched put UP paint.  It was the new unit that was involved   4 tracks in plant come out as two tracks onto a long siding/small yard along the main.  Industrial engine pulls south out of plant onto siding, then shoves north into little yard.   Looks like they only have 10-12 car lengths between switch siding into plant and split rail detail at south end of siding.   In one picture I saw you can see the yellow SW sitting near where the split rail derail would be.   NS spokesman says their train struck the industrial locomotive that was already derailed.  My suspicion is the switcher got thru the derail and something kicked toward main somehow and 238 struck it and derailed. 

Date: 07/11/22 21:36
Author: Drknow

PTC didn’t stop this?!?!

Somebody better start making political hay on this!!

Flying trains will be next.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/22 06:27
Author: Lackawanna484

No updates on the condition of the train crew. Hope they recover.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/12/22 07:19
Author: ALCO630

Drknow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PTC didn’t stop this?!?!
>
> Somebody better start making political hay on
> this!!
>
> Flying trains will be next.
>
> Regards
>
> Posted from iPhone

No, but I’m sure the derailed switcher will be PSR’s fault.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 07/12/22 07:30

Picture courtesy of the Columbia-Richland Fire Department.   You can see the the switcher and covered hopper in background.

Date: 07/12/22 08:35
Author: ts1457

Any informtion on the time lapse between the industrial engine derailing and the NS train hitting it?

Date: 07/12/22 08:52
Author: ctillnc

The industry didn't send employees down the NS in each direction to flag for oncoming trains? Somebody is going to be sued for big money unless the flagmen just hadn't gotten far enough down the track for the NS train to stop.

Date: 07/12/22 08:57
Author: RayH

The most shocking aspect is that 238 had containers up front. Usually it gets a large PSR pickup at Columbia, for 7 Mile Yard in North CHS...

Date: 07/12/22 09:09
Author: boejoe

Today's (7/12) local paper (The Post and Courier) in Charleston SC carried the story on page 3.  
Third paragraph: "A Norfolk Southern crate train hit a locomotive that had derailed from tracks next to the company's main line...."
Next paragraph: "The derailed train is not operated by Norfolk Southern.  The owner of the train has not been released."   Took me a couple moments to realize reference is made to the switcher that fouled the main.
No update on the hospitalized crew members.
jb

Date: 07/12/22 10:19
Author: randgust

scraphauler Wrote:
  4 tracks in plant come out as
> two tracks onto a long siding/small yard along the
> main.  Industrial engine pulls south out of plant
> onto siding, then shoves north into little yard.
>   Looks like they only have 10-12 car lengths
> between switch siding into plant and split rail
> detail at south end of siding.   

OK, here's the dumb question.   You can't see a split rail derail from Google Earth, was it built derailing the equipment AWAY from the main or TOWARD the main?
And it doesn't looks like that unit (RSSX 2535??) was remote control either.

NS is really fussy about the standard placement of the derail on an industrial siding into the main line, so this is a pretty good mystery.

Date: 07/12/22 11:36
Author: CFI_85

Here's an Apple Maps location of the split rail detail in question.

Date: 07/12/22 11:47
Author: tuxedorailfan

Could be possible that the switcher and car rolled away from a lack of braking if it wasn't tied down properly. 

We all know that SOME of these small industrial operations follow virtually zero rules when it comes to this type of thing. I know I've seen some sketchy stuff...

Date: 07/12/22 12:28
Author: ts1457

tuxedorailfan Wrote:
> Could be possible that the switcher and car rolled
> away from a lack of braking if it wasn't tied down
> properly. 
>
> We all know that SOME of these small industrial
> operations follow virtually zero rules when it
> comes to this type of thing. I know I've seen some
> sketchy stuff...

You mean that maybe it derailed during the night and no one noticed?

Date: 07/12/22 12:53
Author: randgust

wow, well, thanks.  Deepens the mystery.     About the only clue in the photos is the cut of cars behind, if those were loads, there was some momentum involved to push the locomotive through the derail and into fouling distance of the main.  Remember most switching isn't done under air.

Hard to believe that if the unit was manned, that an emergency call wouldn't have been made to NS.  Pure speculation now.   And without NTSB involvement, highly unlikely you'll hear anything publicly from anybody unless a bored new investigator latches onto it.   

Date: 07/12/22 20:11
Author: Gonut1

I have been reserving my opion, however my thoughts, exactly. This privately owned switcher and train rolled out through the derail and the loads behind it shoved it far beyond the derail fouling the NS main, despite being intentionally derailed. I'm thinking no one at "Tree House Foods" even knew this occurred. Certainly any intelligent individual who knew this run-away was fouling the main would have tried their damndest to contact NS. Or I should hope so! PTC would not catch this anymore than a tree fall fouling a main. PTC is not a cure-all and GPS is not quite yet able to detect trees falling or in this case an industrial loco fouling a main. 
Oh Gosh! Look, another NS derailment at the Robins AFB in Georgia. 
Gonut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/22 20:11 by Gonut1.

Date: 07/13/22 06:56
Author: oneblock

It looks to be dark territory. No PTC or switch indicators. Those high mast switch banners are only used in dark territory. 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0841 seconds