Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Atlanta and the East End

Date: 10/02/22 12:06
Atlanta and the East End
Author: regmacSC

Been in the Atlanta area for almost a year now, and haven't gone on a chase on the East End District towards Birmingham so since Ian cancelled my plans for the weekend.....why not.
Started out at Austell and away we went.  First train seen was 51G, but didn't have time to set up anything so they went on the Atlanta North to meet NS 54V.....

Image 1: NS 54V coming by the control point coming by the Box Plant near Control Point England.
Image 2: About 45 minutes behind them was NS 284 coming in from the west coast via Memphis.  In the upper right corner is the Norfolk Southern's Whitaker Intermodal Yard.
Image 3:  Finally the East End District show some life as NS 154 pulls up to Lithia Springs to meet Amtrak 19 and NS 187,  Here's the meet of Amtrak 19 as 154 snakes around the S Curve in Lithia Springs.  This was at 10:15am (reason behind me putting the time for this one)

Date: 10/02/22 12:12
Re: Atlanta and the East End (Georgia in to Alabama)

After 154 met 187 at Lithia Springs, I decided to head west a little to get a lay of the land for future chases and photos along the line.  There's quite a few areas I would like to shoot on this line in the near future as I now have a feel of the locations when I hear them on the scanner.

Image 4:  NS 187 at Kellogg with a heavy train climbing the small grade here.
Image 5:  187 would meet UP Blue Streak NS 28J at Winston
Image 6:  187 passing under the wooden bridge at Edwardsville, Alabama.

Date: 10/02/22 12:21

Now earlier, I made mention of NS 154 at Lithia Springs at 10:15am.  Well, after going to Alabama, getting back on 20 to head home, learned that the same 154 had an air hose issue around Nickajack.  And since the earlier 54V had issues of their own earlier was tied down on Track 2, and another train was tied down on Track 1 at Jacmac....well....the double track was blocked between Atlanta and Austell.  4 trains had pulled to different points to wait for 154 to finally get on the Piedmont.  This was around 4pm.

Image 7:  After 154 finally cleared, 1st train through was NS 370 
Image 8:  G88 was 2nd train through but missed shooting them.  Right on G88 approaches, and the 3rd one through was the NS 28J I shot earlier at Winston that got caught behind 154.
Image 9: NS 733 was the 4th one.  

Date: 10/02/22 12:24
Author: 3rdswitch

Real nice.
JB

Date: 10/02/22 14:33
Author: EL833

Nice ! Some of those trains look familiar- good meeting you yesterday.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 10/02/22 15:01
Author: goneon66

although this dude out here in the southwest has never been trackside along the n.s.'s east end, it is one my favorite places in the southeast that i have seen.

i really enjoy the scenery the tracks run though out there.  thanks for posting those great images............

Date: 10/02/22 17:01

Great to meet you as well. Until next time..

Posted from Android

Date: 10/03/22 13:18
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds