Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Watching trains at Sinking Springs, PA

Date: 10/31/22 13:30
Watching trains at Sinking Springs, PA
Author: jimleighty

I will be in the area of Sinking Springs, PA and was wondering if that was a good place to watch the NS action on the Reading-Harrisburg mainline? I see that East Penn also has a line that intersects with NS there and was not sure if any of their trains are active during the mid-day period?  Are there any decent/safe places to park in town?  Thanks for any advice that you might have.
Jim Leighty

Date: 10/31/22 13:45
Re: Watching trains at Sinking Springs, PA
Author: exopr

The Railroad House restaurant is trackside in Sinking Springs.   Good food last time we ate there a few years ago.  The former Reading depot in Wernersville is a good place to sit.   Also Wyomising close to the Dosie Dough bakery.

Date: 10/31/22 14:58
Author: NB1001

The Lancaster & Northern runs to Reading several times in the Monday to Friday period. Precise days vary from week to week. So, they may or may not be running on the day that you are there. Train pulls up to the Woodrow Avenue crossing near the restaurant mentioned in the other email and waits for NS dispatcher permission to enter NS tracks. This is a decent place to wait for the train but parking may be tight since employees of several nearby companies may be occupying the parking spots. A better alternative would be to travel a few miles east to the parking lot for Dosie Dough bakery in Wyomissing.

Date: 11/01/22 12:29
Author: dschlegel

As others have said Sinking Spring has a decent viewing area near the Railroad House restaurant. If you can find parking across the tracks from the restaurant the elevated view is a bit better.

I second the recommendation to go to the Dosie Dough in Wyomissing, which is just a few miles east of Sinking Spring. Their baked goods are very tasty and the parking lot provides a decent view looking towards Wyomissing Junction.

Depending on how far you’d like to drive from Sinking Spring, roughly 10 miles to the west is a town called Richland which sports a rock cut to the west of the crossing and a sweeping curve to the east.

Wernersville as stated has an old Reading station and is safe. This is just a bit west of Sinking Spring.

Also the town of Robesonia has a public park next to the tracks that is a safe place to watch.

As for the ESPN, they have been running a GP38 dash something and a GP18 of Susquehanna origins. When they run into Reading the usually arrive Sinking Spring mid to late morning, work in Reading for a short time and return mid to late afternoon.

Enjoy your visit!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/22 12:30 by dschlegel.

Date: 11/01/22 13:11
Author: exopr

I want to second Dan's recommendation of Richland.  It's a great place to sit in a rural setting.

Date: 11/01/22 20:38
Author: misty1

And the bakery has the best Latte's I have found on the east coast.

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds