Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The early days of the Indiana RR.

Date: 11/15/22 18:03
The early days of the Indiana RR.
Author: BobE

An unlabeled slide by J. David Ingles of the INRD.

BobE

Date: 11/15/22 19:04
Re: The early days of the Indiana RR.
Author: P

That must be really early

Posted from Android

Date: 11/16/22 10:57
Author: junctiontower

I'm guessing this is very late 80's-early 90's, the beginning of the transition away from the original CF7 only roster.  The 90's and very early 2000's were a real hodgepodge of miscellanious oddball motive power until the SD40-2's came on the scene and ushered in third generation power on the railroad. I believe the need to have locomotives that were acceptable to other railroads as run-through power hastened the demise of some of the antiques.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/22 08:50 by junctiontower.

Date: 11/16/22 18:12
Author: jtar463

The first 2 shots were taken in Palestine,IL in Sept of 2001 and the last at Sullivan, IN in May 2001

Date: 11/17/22 07:07
Author: PC1974

BobE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An unlabeled slide by J. David Ingles of the
> INRD.
>
> BobE

Those C&O of Indiana units had been Alco tradeins to EMD. They still had their ALCO trucks!

Date: 11/17/22 14:07
Author: BobE

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm guessing this is very late 80's-early 90's,

When I found myself in the same room with the slide, I looked at the processing date.   It was 1989.

I know Trains ran an article on INRD in its fairly early days.  Without trying to find that issue, I bet Ingles was the writer and this was one of the images he shot during his research.

BobE

Date: 11/17/22 19:14
Author: IC1038west

The first image looks like a northbound Indianapolis Power & Light (IPL) load crossing the ISRR diamond at Switz City, Indiana.

Gary and Steve Dolzall did an early INRD story published in the June 1988 issue of Trains, with Gary and C L Kay providing the photo coverage for the article. That was before the 7300's and the ex Milwaukee sd's arrived on the property, though.

Date: 11/18/22 06:46
Author: tq-07fan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Add a lot more trees in thirty years and I think you got it! The REA power poles match up. My pictures from August 4 2022. Taken from Charlotte Ave / 600 W.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds