Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Buffalo Snow


Date: 11/18/22 16:54
Buffalo Snow
Author: zars

BNSF and UP should gather up all the hopper cars they can find and send them to the Buffalo, NY area.  Load them up with snow, then send them down to the Southwest and let them melt until they are empty again.



Date: 11/18/22 17:40
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: SouthBuffalo1

They did that during the Blizzard of 1977.  That lasted 2 weeks.  Hopefully this one will be done by Saturday.  We got 48" over a 24 hour period.  I did here a train whistle while I was out trying to clean the drive way tonight.  The CSX Waterlevel route is a mile from my house.  I wonder if it was a plow train?



Date: 11/18/22 18:34
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: Gonut1

But the southwest wasn't having a serious drought back in 77, so they just sent them anywhere south!
Go



Date: 11/18/22 19:24
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: kevink

Or we could just let it melt and stay within the Great Lakes Basin where it belongs.

Posted from iPhone



Date: 11/19/22 02:54
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: JPB

I can't speak for NS ops through Buffalo but per the Fairport NY rail cam train log, 22 CSX road freights originated, terminated, or passed through Buffalo for the 24 hour period at the height of the storm at Buffalo. Note the absence of the usual 8 Amtraks that pass the Fairport cam.

Here are a couple of North East PA (along Lake Erie about 75 miles southwest of Buffalo) rail cam captures of CSX westbounds that had passed through Buffalo some time Friday. And there were many more CSX freight movements at North East between 1700 Friday and 0500 Saturday 11/19/22.








Date: 11/19/22 09:06
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: toledopatch

kevink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or we could just let it melt and stay within the
> Great Lakes Basin where it belongs.
>
Removing a few trainloads of snow from the rail lines around Buffalo is not going to disrupt the lakes' ecology.
 



Date: 11/19/22 15:30
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: TomG

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kevink Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Or we could just let it melt and stay within
> the
> > Great Lakes Basin where it belongs.
> >
> Removing a few trainloads of snow from the rail
> lines around Buffalo is not going to disrupt the
> lakes' ecology.
>  

Or help out anywhere experiencing drought conditions.

Tom
Weaverville, CA



Date: 11/20/22 00:44
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: Soo715

I imagine KevinK was referring to the "principle of the thing." There have been all sorts of ill-considered proposals to send Great Lakes water out west by proponents who can't imagine that the eternal growth paradigm for the West will ever need to be reconsidered. Things are about to get very real and I totally understand people in the Great Lakes region wanting to object to any proposals to move water out of the region. 



Date: 11/20/22 06:09
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: ns1000

And we are STILL having trouble just moving the FREIGHT from Point A to Point B.....??!!

Posted from Android



Date: 11/20/22 08:03
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: kevink

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Removing a few trainloads of snow from the rail
> lines around Buffalo is not going to disrupt the
> lakes' ecology.
>  
A few trainloads of snow aren’t going make any impact to the drought out west. So why do people keep proposing to do so?

Posted from iPhone



Date: 11/20/22 17:25
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: wabash2800

And there are proposals to move water from the Missippi River to the west. It would seem they wouldn't want it when it floods...

Victor B.

Soo715 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I imagine KevinK was referring to the "principle
> of the thing." There have been all sorts of
> ill-considered proposals to send Great Lakes water
> out west by proponents who can't imagine that the
> eternal growth paradigm for the West will ever
> need to be reconsidered. Things are about to get
> very real and I totally understand people in the
> Great Lakes region wanting to object to any
> proposals to move water out of the region. 



Date: 11/20/22 17:48
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: TAW

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And there are proposals to move water from the
> Missippi River to the west. It would seem they
> wouldn't want it when it floods...


But the Mississippi is currently very low on water.

During flood season, the pipe would need to be bigger than huge. I'm visualizing the vortex that is sucking in stuff for miles around.

TAW



Date: 11/22/22 19:04
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: wabash2800

But some flood control projects use reservoirs to contain flood waters. Perhaps a few of them could be built along the Mississippi and the flooded water diverted from the reservoirs to a series of feeder pipelines to pipelines west?

Victor B.

TAW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wabash2800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And there are proposals to move water from the
> > Missippi River to the west. It would seem they
> > wouldn't want it when it floods...
>
>
> But the Mississippi is currently very low on
> water.
>
> During flood season, the pipe would need to be
> bigger than huge. I'm visualizing the vortex that
> is sucking in stuff for miles around.
>
> TAW



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/22 19:08 by wabash2800.



Date: 11/23/22 11:53
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: SpringedSwitch

zars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BNSF and UP should gather up all the hopper cars
> they can find and send them to the Buffalo, NY
> area.  Load them up with snow, then send them
> down to the Southwest and let them melt until they
> are empty again.

Not when diesel is $6/gallon...



Date: 11/24/22 14:08
Re: Buffalo Snow
Author: ns1000

SpringedSwitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> zars Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > BNSF and UP should gather up all the hopper
> cars
> > they can find and send them to the Buffalo, NY
> > area.  Load them up with snow, then send them
> > down to the Southwest and let them melt until
> they
> > are empty again.
>
> Not when diesel is $6/gallon...


The way the large Carriers figure out fuel costs is a little different than what it is for you and me.

The bigger problem(s) is the inability to move the freight NOW (for various reasons)..?!?! This and any "help" won't even come close to a "drought buster".

Posted from Android



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0925 seconds