Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Detroit Edison coal train routing

Date: 12/01/22 08:09
Detroit Edison coal train routing
Author: commissioner

Does anyone know the routing for the the Detroit Edison trains going to Michigan? I know they used to go BNSF, interchange at Western Avenue in Chicago and get on the NS via Amtrak at 21st St.. to Michigan. Is this still the case? TIA

Mark Kennebeck
Saint Paul, MN

Date: 12/01/22 14:00
Re: Detroit Edison coal train routing
Author: ironmtn

Probably still the same, unless there has been a very recent change. I have not been trackside recently to see one pass. But on an Amtrak trip to Chicago from Michigan at the end of September arriving mid-morning we were moving right alongside one with BNSF power. A westbound empty (knew it from the reporting marks on the cars - plenty of DEEX marks), passed as we approached the drawbridge just south of Union Station.

If that train was there, then the routing you described was very likely. Not much other way it could have been there.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/22 14:01 by ironmtn.

Date: 12/01/22 16:00
Author: RMD23

I think you have it for the BNSF to NS route in Chicago.  After that they run east on NS Chicago Line thru Elkhart to the in-transit staging yard at Swanton, OH, built a little bit west of Toldeo a few years back.  When DTE is ready they head then east to Toledo and north on the former CR Detroit Line to DTE at Monroe, MI. 

Date: 12/02/22 07:22
Author: howeld

There have been a couple PRB coal trains take the Nw connection at Deshler recently. This would be a CSX routing up to Toledo and beyond.

Date: 12/02/22 18:35
Author: farmer

howeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There have been a couple PRB coal trains take the
> Nw connection at Deshler recently. This would be
> a CSX routing up to Toledo and beyond.

Consumers Power at Essexville Michigan is destination for these trains. GLC receives them at Wixom Michigan.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds