Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Grinding Toward Sand Patch

Date: 12/03/22 11:58
Grinding Toward Sand Patch
Author: bobwilcox

On this dreary fall day, an eastbound CSX coal drag will reach Sand Patch, PA, in a few miles.  It will pass under the former Western Maryland route between Cumberland, MD and Connelsville, PA.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 12/03/22 14:22
Re: Grinding Toward Sand Patch
Author: ClubCar

Thanks for the photo, Bob.  I'm one of those lucky people who have been over that bridge and under that bridge having ridden excursion trains on the Western Maryland Railway and again on the old Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.  Those were the good-ole-days that unfortunately can not be repeated.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/03/22 16:52
Author: MacBeau

Nice moody shot. Is the bridge accessible to shoot from?
—Mac

Date: 12/03/22 18:07
Author: qed479

The bridge is the Keystone Viaduct.  The Great Allegheny Passage hiking and bicycle trail passes through the Keystone Viaduct. I believe the nearest trail access point is from Scratch Hill Rd. off of the Glade City Rd. which runs east out of Meyersdale, PA. The photo was probably taken from a track-side area just off of the Glade City Rd.   The Great Allegheny Trail also goes through the Big Savage Tunnel a few miles east of the Keystone Viaduct.  If you're visiting the area, the Great Allegheny Passage passes over the 1908 ft long Salisbury Viaduct northwest of Meyersdale.  It's a great experience to walk across the viaduct 100+ ft above the valley floor.  And of course, while your in this fabulous railroad corner of the world, be sure to visit Sand Patch.  All of these opportunities can be viewed on Google Maps.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds