Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Another Delaware-Lackawanna Post - Fri 5/26 - Sat 5/27

Date: 05/28/23 19:41
Another Delaware-Lackawanna Post - Fri 5/26 - Sat 5/27
Author: sscannella

I was in Scranton again from late Friday morning through Saturday afternoon visiting family to start the long weekend, and as usual grabbed some DL activity while there.

Friday saw a BR1 crew working around Scranton and doing the interchange work with NS.  These first two photos are of the BR1 crew returning from working Valley Distribution in South Scranton from Cliff St, which is the entrance to the Steamtown Complex.   The crew split the power to work Valley, and the 2045 is serving as the "shoving platform" with the conductor sounding the horn for crossing protection, as the 2452 and 414 are shoving on the 5 empty boxcars.  This is on the old D&H main just about to pass under the former DL&W Bridge 60.   In a short distance they will reverse up the connector to access Scranton Yard and get the rest of their empties before heading over to the NS Taylor Yard. 

Friday was the first day I actually got to see the PA acquired from Doyle McCormack.  Kind of anti-climactic to me personally, as I followed and posted all the updates from GVT to the DL Facebook page over the last month, but I was in Florida last week when it was on the last leg of its journey across the Southern Tier of NY and then down to Scranton from Binghamton, NY.   Still great see it in person though.  For anyone who wants to get a look at it at the Steamtown turntable/roundhouse area, the best time to photograph it is before 1:30 PM, as shadows start creeping from the back.  It is supposedly on display until mid-June.

Date: 05/28/23 19:46
Re: Another Delaware-Lackawanna Post - Fri 5/26 - Sat 5/27

The second crew on Friday was running a PO74 job on the Pocono Main to the grain mill at Mt. Pocono and the lumber facility at Cresco.  My first attempt to intercept before I had to meet someone for lunch failed, as they had multiple pick-ups of grain hoppers stored at various sidings along the line plus had some trackwork to contend with, but after lunch I was able to intercept at Pocono  Summit just before arrival at the mill.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/28/23 19:52

Saturday's single crew, starting as BR1, had a car to retrieve at Cherry St in South Scranton.

Returning to Scranton at Bridge 60, they added that car to the empty grain hoppers that PO74/PO75 brought back Friday afternoon, and headed to Taylor as DL3 the drop their 30 cars off and pick up 8 loads.   Here they are seen pulling out toward the NS Sunbury main at Lackawanna Ave, then shoving down to Taylor just below MP 671.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/23 19:53 by sscannella.

Date: 05/28/23 19:56

These three show them first shoving toward the interlocking at CPF-672 to access the siding then the yard leads to drop their 30 empties, then departing north a little while later with a short 8-car pick-up

Date: 05/28/23 20:03

The DL3/BR1 then arrived back at Scranton/Steamtown Yard at as Steamtown's Caboose Hop with Baldwin 0-6-0 #26 was pulling out onto Bridge 60.  It made for an interesting sequence as the 26 pulled back east while to DL train pulled just passed Bridge 60 tower then shoved back toward the north leg of the wye to clear up and tie down for the day.

Date: 05/28/23 20:07

One more view from a little later in the afternoon of the DL3000/3643 tied down at Bridge 60.

Than another view of one of the Caboose Hops.

And finally, the first Steamtown excursion of the season is seen returning by the former DL&W passenger station

Date: 05/28/23 20:20
Author: Gonut1

Super Show Sam!
 I'd sure like to see an Alco PA in person. Maybe my sons and I can get our collective acts together to get to Steamtown sometime soon. We were last there when my older son was about 6 years old and I took the family to the Steamtown Grand Opening. As we approached Scranton on I-81 near Nay Aug he said, " I smell coal smoke". So, WoW! Just how perceptive was that for a 6 year old? It seriously blew my mind then. But that 6 year old as an adult is a super acute engineer both mechanically and electrically. Little brother the same.The acorns didn't fall far from the oak in many ways for borth sons.Sort of mind-boggling to me as a near Octogenarian. 
Thanks as always!
Gonut

Date: 05/29/23 12:35
Author: NYC_L4a

Loved it all, thanks.

Date: 05/30/23 16:52
Author: ns1000

Great post!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0607 seconds