Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lunch below the A&GW...Kent, Ohio

Date: 05/28/23 17:51
Lunch below the A&GW...Kent, Ohio
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Friend texted me today about CSX B454 with UP/KCS. This is a loaded sand train heading to Pennsylvania to be used in fracking. First picture is at Kent, Ohio as the train is getting ready go below the former Atlantic and Great Western depot. Picture number two is of the Atlantic and Great Western depot with a couple getting ready to enjoy a lunch below the formert A&GW depot oblivious to its history. Founded in 1875 the depot is now on the National Register of Historical places. It used to house the Pufferbelly Restaurant. It is now home to the Over Easy restaurant. Still getting used to the refurbised Nikon D800. Last picture is of the NS 8104 as a DPU on the NS 170. Harsh light...On a twelve out of thirteen day stretch at work...thanks for looking. 

Date: 05/28/23 19:06
Re: Lunch below the A&GW...Kent, Ohio
Author: Gonut1

Nice post from what I consider a very scenic "Urban" location.

gonut

Date: 05/28/23 19:25
Author: RuleG

Forever-Railfan-45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Picture number two is of the Atlantic and Great
> Western depot with a couple getting ready to enjoy
> a lunch below the formert A&GW depot oblivious to
> its history. 

How do you know that the couple is oblivious to its history?  Did you chat with them?  I've dined in and near former and current train stations and other railroad buildings cognizant of their history, but do not typically exude my knowledge of railroad history to a distant photographer.

Date: 05/28/23 19:41

The word oblivious was used in reference to the couple as lunch with each other seemed to be their priority today. Had not planned on going to Kent but...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/28/23 19:55
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. Do trains still run past the depot on that upper level?

Victor Baird

Date: 05/29/23 07:47

Yes the Wheeling and Lake Erie will come by with some cars for a business that they switch..

Posted from Android

Date: 05/29/23 10:26
Author: MacBeau

Boarded the Erie Limited there with my father and older brother in the late 50's, place has sure changed.
—Mac

Date: 05/29/23 18:16
Author: bath_wildcat

Nice pics Carl. Lighting was harsh bit you make the best out of what you can get.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 05/30/23 18:24
Author: K3HX

Interesting shot.  Been there many times, albeit long ago (class of '80.)

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1754 seconds