Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Close Clearance, Clarence!" NYS&W Utica NY

Date: 05/29/23 06:30
"Close Clearance, Clarence!" NYS&W Utica NY
Author: ut-1

This video features New York, Susquehanna & Western switching FX Matt Brewery, Utica NY, the chilly (47 degrees) morning of May 26th.

A longer version of this video appears on my YouTube channel, "Railroading Rambler", where it has gone "viral" with over 115K views.Search for it if you'd like under "Groan, Squeal & Screech" FX Matt Brewery Utica NY  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/29/23 09:00
Re: "Close Clearance, Clarence!" NYS&W Utica NY
Author: WM_1109

Good stuff, John. I've been waiting for another F.X. Matt switch job, and you didn't disappoint.

In related news, F.X. Matt recently purchased Flying Dog Brewery, a craft brewer in Frederick, MD. Brewing at Frederick is expected to end in August, with production shifted entirely to Utica. As with many other brands, F.X. Matt has been brewing for Flying Dog on a contract basis for quite some time.

/Ted

Date: 05/29/23 13:40
Author: krm152

Thanks for posting another excellent video of NYS&W #3040 on Schuyler St.
Good to see this unit back and working again.
ALLEN

Date: 05/29/23 14:22
Author: Lackawanna484

Thank you for this and the U tube version.

The detail of the in the road switch is interesting, as is the conductor's careful check that the switch points were properly aligned.

About how often is the Utica Club brewery switched? Are some days more likely than others?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/29/23 14:48
Author: ut-1

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> About how often is the Utica Club brewery
> switched? Are some days more likely than others?

Usually no more than once or twice per week, often the latter part of the work week. Last week, they pulled some cars out on Thursday the 25th and switched the hopper shown in the video in the next day.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/30/23 05:35

Thanks!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/30/23 08:18
Author: WP3545

Should't the conductor be riding on the engineer side to provide hand signals in case radio stops working . Just saying

Date: 05/30/23 08:40
Author: train1275

WP3545 Wrote:
> Should't the conductor be riding on the engineer
> side to provide hand signals in case radio stops
> working . Just saying

Speaking with considerable experience about Schuyler Street over many years, it has its unique safety challenges. WP3545 is correct in that most situations you want to be in sight of the engineer if possible, not only in case of radio failure, but other possible misfortunes whereby the engineer has you in sight and knows where you are. The problem with Schuyler Street is the fact that some of the local kids seem to find great joy in train hopping. I don't know if it is as prevalent as it was, but it happens. By keeping eyes down along one side of the train at all times, they can spot hitchhikers who quickly note who can see them where if they decide to ride. There has also been the issue of parked cars getting spooked by the passing train and trying to pull out as it passes. Again, with a set of eyes on both sides of the train, it can it least be observed and possibly the movement stopped faster depending on the number of cars being shoved. I think we have to be content that these guys have experience working this move and are doing everything they can to take the safest course of action with the known conditions and risk factors.

Date: 05/30/23 10:07
Author: DLM

Every time you post one of these videos with the brewery, I am amazed at how tight the curve and clearances are.  Thanks for posting.

Date: 05/30/23 13:51

I noticed that the conductor walked ahead of the train on the way into the brewery, but rode the long hold on the way out.

Is there a rule about not riding the shove on the way in? With those tight clearances, it doesn't look like there's any place to go in a derailment or scrape

Posted from Android

Date: 05/30/23 17:00
Author: train1275

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> I noticed that the conductor walked ahead of the
> train on the way into the brewery, but rode the
> long hold on the way out.
>
>
> Is there a rule about not riding the shove on the
> way in? With those tight clearances, it doesn't
> look like there's any place to go in a derailment
> or scrape
>
> Posted from Android

Pretty much a rule of common sense, there is no room to ride the side of a car in there.

Date: 05/30/23 18:53

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Is there a rule about not riding the shove on the
> way in? With those tight clearances, it doesn't
> look like there's any place to go in a derailment
> or scrape

Of course there is.
I doubt my ETT is the current issue, but it's not terribly old either.
UTICA MAIN LINE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
specifies (among others):

11. Utica - F.X. Matt Brewery, inside building

as a Close Clearance Location (70-UT1). 

/Ted

Date: 06/02/23 14:44
Author: ALcocentury

John;
          Awesome Video, I always enjoy seeing your adventures around upstate. N.Y..  Thanks as always, & keep them coming,....

REK, in Pa

Date: 06/02/23 15:29
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!

Date: 06/04/23 05:37
Author: symph1

What's that cool looking tower you see at the beginning and very end of the video?

Date: 06/04/23 07:42

symph1 Wrote:
> What's that cool looking tower you see at the
> beginning and very end of the video?

"Schuyler Street Tower", a former DL&W gateman's shanty, was used to control crossing protection on Schuyler Street.
Here's a photo of it in 1987.
/Ted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0846 seconds