Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Evansville and Western

Date: 04/14/24 20:34
Evansville and Western
Author: Quakerengr

We had a few days in Carmi, Illinois, visiting long time friends.  Here is some action we saw on March 27th, 2024.   When my friend retired from BN/BNSF as an engineer 14 years ago,   he left 7 years before I could, they relocated from La Crosse, Wis  to hometown of Carmi.  At that time the E&W was running one train a day  thru Carmi.  things have changed  and I do not know what is going on.  If anyone knows please fill us in.  This former L&N main is now welded rail,  CTC  and a new siding  East side of Carmi.  Aside from the local,  all traffic is now coal loads and empties with loads starting at Mt Vernon, IL to go east. 

1st -   Loaded train's DPU crossing the Little Wabash River  in Carmi, IL.
2nd - They are at the recently added siding,  Carmi.
3rd -  CSXT power on an empty awaiting a new crew at siding Carmi.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/24 20:49 by Quakerengr.

Date: 04/14/24 20:39
Re: Evansville and Western

4th -  We have empty rolling though Carmi.
5th -  Passing the Volunteers, just washed the Tanker Truck
6th -  The DPU.

One more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/24 20:50 by Quakerengr.

Date: 04/14/24 20:43

Lastly on March 28th  after a day at the Evansville, Ind  Zoo, and wonderful dinner at Longhorns,  we saw this loaded ethanol train rolling over the highway departing the plant in Evansville.   Glad we were able to see some Evansville and Western.

Have a great and Blessed  week.

PWM

Date: 04/15/24 03:31
Author: CSX2605

Nice set of shots! I am currently hauling corn to Green Plains Energy ethanol plant and saw this train unload at the coal to barge facitlity right beside Green Plains. Wish I knew more about their operations. The A.B. Brown power plant is also in that same complex and looks to me like it is now running on natural gas. Not that long ago their coal train would run on the EVWR to CSX at Evansville then up to Oaktown, IN to load then back to the EVWR.
These three photos are from 1979. These were taken by the late Alan House. I'll post a couple here for your viewing pleasure. ;)   The NYC Egyption line and L&N crossed at Carmi. They shared the bridge over the Little Wabash River.

Date: 04/15/24 08:09

Excellent,  thanks for sharing!

Pat

Date: 04/16/24 19:57
Author: IC1038west

Thank you for sharing these photos, both past and present. I remember seeing an ex-Reading unit on a Conrail northbound between Norris City and Carmi during the late summer of 1979, but didn't jot down the number or capture an image of it. I appreciate the coverage of this area.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1217 seconds