Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Muskingum Electric Railroad in Ohio

Date: 04/14/04 12:09
Muskingum Electric Railroad in Ohio
Author: FEC2000

Anyone know if there are any good sites for this Ohio operation, or if they are still in operation?

thanks

Jeff Hartung

Date: 04/14/04 13:14
Re: Muskingum Electric Railroad in Ohio
Author: toledopatch

At the very best, their operation is substantially curtailed from 20 years ago, to the point that they don't venture into public view. And I believe it may have even shut down completely. I know this because I first learned about this operation a couple of years ago when, by chance, I picked up an old issue of Trains magazine that featured it, and an inquiry like yours about its current status generated a "Fuggedaboudit" response.

Date: 04/14/04 14:54
Author: BobE

I drove along the rail line in question maybe 5-6 years ago. It didn't look like it was in service even then. There might be a sporadic movement, but it's not likely worth the while to go there on the off chance. Basically, the railroad is a long way from anything else, so you have to commit a whole day amd a lot of gasoline to this off chance.

I haven't checked, but perhaps Cleveland's own John Benson has some roster shots available.

BobE

Date: 04/14/04 15:56
Author: csxmonsubfan

According to the New Electric Railway Journal June 18, 2002 The "MUSKINGUM ELECTRIC RAILROAD CEASES OPERATION: The two automated E-50 electric locomotives used on this strip mine operation ended service in January 2002. The locomotives (#100 and #200) were delivered in 1966."

Date: 04/14/04 21:15
Author: MRSLIDES

If you want to see a couple photographs of this operation go to my webpage http://bensonrailphotos.com click on "electrics" and scroll down to MERR.

JCB

Date: 04/15/04 06:33
Author: kevink

Also see the Fallen Flags web site:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-m/mer.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds