Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Alto Tower's days numbered?

Date: 03/29/05 16:17
Alto Tower's days numbered?
Author: pennsy3750

Was down at 17th Street in Altoona today, sitting on the sidewalk overlooking Alto Tower. Right under the bridge are two large reels of cable, both lettered "Okonite," which is a wire manufacturer that specializes in signal wire. Another reel had cable that led up onto the signal bridge. There were a couple NS maintainance vehicles nearby, but I didn't walk down to chat.

Anyone heard anything official? Like say, a closing date? There are a few souvenirs down there that I'd like.

Date: 03/29/05 17:32
Re: Alto Tower's days numbered?
Author: KevinD

Dunno, but by its looks, the external condition of the tower has declined rapidly since the Conrail split.

Date: 03/29/05 18:16
Author: HB90MACH

I find it hard to believe that they would close that one. To many random movements there not to have an operating tower. Didn't conrail try that many years ago and fail because of many movements and close timeing of them?

Date: 03/30/05 14:07
Author: JUTower

I dunno. Take East Conway for example - the sprawling interlocking at the east end of Conway (PA) yard west of Pittsburgh had a massive signal upgrade, but the tower is still in service.
Just a thought.
-Alex

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0282 seconds