Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > Fantasy Schemes Continued

Date: 11/21/05 20:52
Fantasy Schemes Continued
Author: fjc

Figured I'd start a new thread about the Fantasy Schemes and take it one step further, the Ocean Shore is a real railroad that existed up to 1921 and ran between San Francisco and Santa Cruz, CA. It's demise was mother nature, poor financial health and the failed completion of the RR leaving a gap in the middle of the route. So I wanted to do a modern day recreation of the line, having it as a somewhat cash strapped shortline with a few new and alot of second hand power, poor track and interchange with the SP. The idea was to create a plausible paint scheme, one that said something about the name of the RR and made you think of the line. You know how California Northern and Arizona & California had a very distinct and classy appearance, something along those lines. So a friend, and co-worker, Amtrak Engineer Howard Tolman designed both schemes you see here. The first is based on looking at the engine from a side profile, it represents the sea (Ocean), land (Shore) and air. This I use as a one time paint job, commemorative type deal that will always be pretty clean looking. The other scheme is based on the SP Daylight scheme, but with a different set of colors and a differrent lettering font. The third unit you see in this first photo represents some of the power the Ocean Shore bought secondhand, most wont be repainted, just patched and renumbered and relettered. Time frame is that of what I model for the SP, 1975-1984ish.

Enjoy.

Date: 11/21/05 20:52
Re: Fantasy Schemes Continued

Date: 11/21/05 20:53

Date: 11/21/05 21:19
Author: DaveD

Looks good... I really like the freelanced schemes. I have one I made up myself, and one of these days I will do a layout. I find that much more appealing then trying to copy one of the mega roads.

Dave
-DPD Productions - Featuring the TrainTenna LP Gain RR Scanner Antenna-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/

Date: 11/21/05 21:56
Author: Red

Great work, Frank!!!

I am very glad to see that you provide your crews with cab-mounted air conditioning and rear-mounted horns. Makes SO MUCH difference!!!

Date: 11/22/05 04:26
Author: Chessie2018

Here is a locomotive in the Trewsville Southern paint scheme, It uses the Southern Green but we do not use the stripe. The TVS will also have one painted PC green.

Here is a link to the photo of TVS 2018 at the NMRA layout in Chattanooga:
http://www.trewsvillesouthern.00server.com/images/dscf0051.jpg

Jason Trew
Trewsville Southern Railroad

Date: 11/22/05 17:18
Author: rrnut_99

Very nice!!!!

L.G.

Date: 11/22/05 18:29
Author: DRLOCO

A great posting idea! here is my contribution, a Bachmann SPectrum GE 70TOnner...this would fall under the "pseudo-fantasy" topic, since the Northwood Pulp & Timber Co. did exist in Frasier Flats BC (10-mi NE of Prince George). THe railroad is now owned by CanFor. They interchange with the BCR Chetwyn Sub(Well--I guess it is CN now). Real motive power is an SW900u (former CRI&P) and a former CMSTP&P SW1200. ANyhow, I had this shell on hand, and some leftover decals...and got to work...
(Now to see if I can post a photo)
DRLOCO--fantasy: because reality just can't compete.

Date: 11/23/05 01:05
Author: WS

A great idea for a thread. Here is my contribution, a Kato SD45. The model was undec and I painted it in the colors of my own fantasy, freelanced railroad - the High Desert & Sierra Railroad. I have to confess that the scheme was taken from Trona Railway. I replaced the red with B&O blue ;-)

Stefan

http://www.mypage.bluewin.ch/Railfan

Date: 11/23/05 15:57

was that to be 4501 on the numberboards???

Jason/Chessie2018

Date: 11/23/05 23:17

Chessie2018 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> was that to be 4501 on the numberboards???
>
> Jason/Chessie2018

The people in the High Desert & Sierra R.R. shops doesn`t like mondays ;-))

Stefan

Date: 11/24/05 08:23

If I saw the numberboard mixup on one of my TVSRR units, I would force the entire shop crew to refix it and them send them out on the MOW Chain Gang or make them see the light of day by cleaning up the mainline.

JAson/Chessie2018

Date: 11/24/05 23:56

Chessie2018 Wrote:
> If I saw the numberboard mixup on one of my TVSRR
> units, I would force the entire shop crew to refix
> it and them send them out on the MOW Chain Gang or
> make them see the light of day by cleaning up the
> mainline.
>
> JAson/Chessie2018

You are a hard boss ;-)

Stefan

Date: 11/25/05 15:37
Author: Red

Chessie2018 Wrote:
> Here is a locomotive in the Trewsville Southern
> paint scheme, It uses the Southern Green but we do
> not use the stripe. The TVS will also have one
> painted PC green.
>
> Here is a link to the photo of TVS 2018 at the
> NMRA layout in Chattanooga:
> http://www.trewsvillesouthern.00server.com/images/
> dscf0051.jpg
>
> Jason Trew
> Trewsville Southern Railroad

Very nice. I always thought the NS "Southern" 4610 was one of the best-looking locomotives of the modern era. That green is just beautiful. Nice that when they repainted it...they kept it green.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4767 seconds