Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Model Railroading > Tower 55 GEVO Pictures

Date: 02/18/06 19:47
Tower 55 GEVO Pictures
Author: mario_puzo

Picked up a UP GEVO at the Train Shop in Santa Clara today and whipped out the camera for some quick shots. Sorry for the lousy photos, but something's better than nothing!

Photo 1 showcases the nose of the model. The windows are tinted and a tan colored cab interior fits very soundly behind the windows with no visible gaps between the interior and the outside shell. UP appropriate radio and information systems are modeled on the roof with nice relief. The ditch light housings are rather large, but they do have operating bulbs inside which justifies their size. The pilot includes MU air and signal lines with a trainline hose. The red signal hose is a little large, but it is easily overlooked with the nice detail on the nose and cab.

Date: 02/18/06 20:03
Re: Tower 55 GEVO Pictures

Secondly, we have a side shot of the model. In my opinion, the X-panel relief is one of the best things about this model as it looks very nice in person. The fine handrail size is also a very nice solution compared to comparable plastic products. I think the handrail stantions are a little large, but it is certainly comparable to any of the other plastic products out on the market today. The molding is crisp on the side doors with the exception of some of the latches. In my opinion, they resemble the latches on Athearn’s recently released and upgraded Rail Power Products SD40 shell. As one's eye is taken to the underframe, it is reminiscent of Kato's recent AC4400. The underframe traction motor cables are nicely molded into the frame and the Air Filters and driers are separately applied parts. However, the air reservoirs are semi-obviously molded in only half of their entirety with the piping running to and between the reservoirs looking very flat. One other slight disappointment was the lack of separately applied air lines on the truck sideframes. A resemblance to this part is molded onto the sideframe, much like the Kato AC4400.

Date: 02/18/06 20:41
Author: MrMRL

Looks good, can't wait for my three BNSF wedgies to arrive!

Robby F. (Mr. MRL) - Let the games begin!

Date: 02/18/06 21:16

Finally, we have an overall shot of the long hood of the locomotive. Rear pilot detail is very similar to the front with the exception of the plow. Although the roof isn't completely visible, it includes simulated anti-slip coating down the center of the hood, with an etched grill revealing two small fans. The main flared radiator grill is not etched and it is finely molded into the main shell. The GE style lift "latches" have a good amount of depth to them as well as other hinges on the roof.

Overall the paint coverage and application is excellent and the colors seem to be very accurate. The flag decal has some separation issues with the different elevations of depth on the side of the long hood, however, it still does not really detract from the overall appearance of the model. Besides this, the decals and or printing are very good.

As for operation, I have only ran it back and forth on my DCC equipped layout a few times. After entering in "03" for the default decoder address, the locomotive came to life after a start-up sequence. The engine has a nice idle sound to it as it stands by for service. I proceeded to move it forward and immediately noticed that it already has some momentum effects programmed in, as the engine throttled up a bit before moving. Nice effect! The bell and horn both sound great and the ditch lights unprototypically flash when you blow the horn.

Well, these are the things I noticed after having the model for a few hours. On a whole I would have to say these models are very nice and are worth the price. They look very nice on a whole and run very quietly.

Date: 02/18/06 21:48
Author: RioGrandeFan

On that rear shot did you notice the spare coupler holders with spare coupler? They seem a bit small but at least they are there. One thing I don't like is the red MU cable isn't in the wire grab but under it. I was able to get our hobby shop demo one to go into the grab and it looked a lot better. Not a big deal but something to do.

Anyway, bring on the BNSF wedgie ones! I have two on order and a third or fourth may be coming my way.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 02/18/06 21:50
Author: WCSTK

Can someone please tell me why I am not impressed...I know I am supposed to be, but I can't help it....it just looks a little like a Bachman spectrum model with details added......

Date: 02/18/06 22:25
Author: ESPEE5318

WCSTK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone please tell me why I am not
> impressed...I know I am supposed to be, but I
> can't help it....it just looks a little like a
> Bachman spectrum model with details added......

Same here I'm disappointed by all the molded on stuff and lack of detail on the air tanks, under body, trucks etc. I would not say it looks like a Bachmann, but more like a over priced Kato. I figured for the price that the detail level would be higher like the brass line.

Joe

Date: 02/19/06 05:45
Author: jasonlowe

WCSTK Wrote:
> Can someone please tell me why I am not
> impressed...I know I am supposed to be, but I
> can't help it....it just looks a little like a
> Bachman spectrum model with details added......

It's nice, but so are most Altas, P2K, Genesis, etc. engines anymore. All this is going to do is give the competition an excuse to drive up the price.

Date: 02/19/06 06:54
Author: chessiegp39

I agree that is just looks like an overpriced Kato. Wouldn't it be ironic if Kato came out with one in the future at their normal price? I have also read that they run terrible in DC mode. Is this true?

Date: 02/19/06 07:29
Author: CR4122

Here we go again, the usual suspects who have not seen the models in person have weighed in with their anti T55 biased opinions. I have yet to see a review from somebody who has seen the models in person say they look a Bachmann.

Date: 02/19/06 12:24
Author: Mgoldman

jasonlowe Wrote:
> It's nice, but so are most Altas, P2K, Genesis,
> etc. engines anymore. All this is going to do is
> give the competition an excuse to drive up the
> price.

Or down - unless to your point this item takes off.
I'm not impressed either, but that is based only on the pictures and
the understanding that these models are quite pricy.

Date: 02/19/06 13:40
Author: chessiegp39

I have seen them and heard them in my LHS and I am not impressed. Their are some aspects that are excellent but for the money that they are asking, I don't think that they are worth it. Maybe the SD-70m's will be, but that is for a later thread.

Date: 02/19/06 15:12
Author: ChS7-321

CR4122 Wrote:
> Here we go again, the usual suspects who have not
> seen the models in person have weighed in with
> their anti T55 biased opinions. I have yet to see
> a review from somebody who has seen the models in
> person say they look a Bachmann.

I saw Tower 55 UP C45 at a local hobby shop (Doylestown,PA) last weekend. I have also seen numerous times the Kato models of SD90MAC, SD70, etc, and must say that the Tower 55 model looks much nicer in terms of fine details and such.

As a modeller of non-US railroads, I am not all caught up on the exact proper details of various new locomotives, but I have to say that the model I held in my hands was VERY nice, and if I was modelling modern-day US ops, it would have been a "buy".

Date: 02/24/06 09:52
Author: MysticHowler

I saw the pre-production model of this engine, and I was very impressed. I am looking at buying one myself, I just want to hear the sound first. Sure, the P2K engines are nice, but I don't think the sound is up to par. I saw the SD70ACe as well, but I can't remember if it was the brass or the Tower 55 one. It was nice, but I think the GEVO was better.
Hopefully the C45ACCTE will be.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0969 seconds