Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Model Railroading > New Red Caboose 53' SP Flats

Date: 03/29/06 17:13
New Red Caboose 53' SP Flats
Author: sixaxle

Picked up a couple of these and the ones with the wood decks come shipped with the deck NOT attached to the car body. The instructions say to attach it with "your choice of adhesive"
What would be the best to use? Walthers Goo has caused warping problems for me in the past and I have not used it for many years when building car kits for that reason. The car is packed really well, however once removed the wood floor buckles upward in the center about 3/8 to 1/2 inch actual in height. Is there a good ACC that combines plastic, the metal weight which is exposed and the laser etched wood floor? Thanks in advance.

Date: 03/29/06 17:21
Re: New Red Caboose 53' SP Flats
Author: tracktime

You may want to try a contact cement called "Barge Cement" - available in most non-big-box smaller neighborhood hardware stores, or at Orchard Supply Hardware.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 03/29/06 18:41
Author: scottp

I don't have one of these cars yet, but after I did a couple of similar cars, I thought it might be wise to cut the deck into three or four parts to make the gluing easier, and the deck might stay down better. However it could be a problem if you get to the last section and it won't fit because the other sections weren't quite in the right place. But heck, it probably won't be noticeable if you have to shave a little off of one board.

Date: 03/30/06 05:19
Author: BrianM

I have used Woodland Scenics glue in the past with some simulated wood decks on flats without any problems.

Brian

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds