Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Model Railroading > Newbie Airbrush Questions

Date: 09/06/06 15:44
Newbie Airbrush Questions
Author: mhuffstutter

Could any of you experienced folks help out a complete beginner here?
I have investigated enough to know that I need to use a spray booth, and
that the key is practice, practice....

My question concerns the airbrush to start with, specifically single
vs dual action. I looks like the Badger 150 is a popular model; any opinions
as to whether or not dual action is desired? A friend who has been at it for
quite a while feels that single action is sufficient. Also, in the case of the
Badger, and for use painting N-Scale frames, which tip (fine, medium, heavy)
would be the best used?

Thanks Folks,
Mark

Date: 09/06/06 18:42
Re: Newbie Airbrush Questions
Author: ESPEE5318

I have been using the 150 for many years and highly recommend it. I have other more expensive airbrushes but the 150 is my favorite and the one I use the most. The beauty of double action is you can change the spray pattern on the fly once you get more trigger time you will become one with the brush and you can make changes in spray pattern faster that you can think about it.With single action you would need to stop and make adjustments I use the medium needle the most about 99% of the time the fine needle is very fine you can put rust on a rivet head......I tried the heavy needle once it is very heavy like for painting G scale stuff....if you buy one of the sets you will get all three needles ...................Joe

Date: 09/06/06 18:46
Author: ATSFDave

Mark,I use A Paasche model H single action,and it works great for everything I ever used it for.I also have a badger 150 that I used for many years,It was A great basic airbrush,But I think You would like The Paasche better,But again,It all comes down to the matter of personal preference.

Regards,
David

Date: 09/06/06 19:09
Author: bozotexino

I have used a Badger 350 airbrush for many years. I have sold models, won contests, and been on the cover of a national model magazine with models painted with that 350. I use a medium tip exclusively. I tried a 150 but wasn't comfortable with it. Bottom line-it's the airbrusher, not the airbrush.

Date: 09/06/06 19:15
Author: ESPEE5318

bozotexino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Bottom line-it's the airbrusher, not the
> airbrush.

You said it all right there..........

Date: 09/06/06 22:57
Author: mhuffstutter

Joe, David, bozotexino, Thank You all very much for Your voices of experience. That was exactly the guidance I was looking for. For now, I think I will keep it simple for my newbie self and go with the single action, and give the 150 a try after I get some experience.

Boy, is the "Bottom Line" ever true!

Thanks again Fellas,
Mark

Date: 09/07/06 03:59
Author: BL2

I use a Paasche single action for solvent based paints and a Badger 155 double action for water based paints.

Date: 09/07/06 07:18
Author: cr6972

i have three AB's, but my badger anthem is my favorite. my other two are the PAASCHE "H" and the "VL". the anthem is a fine to med. spray width range, perfect for both weathering detail and painting of HO and N scale models. i used the PAASCHE "VL" for about two years, then i tried the badger anthem, and i like that much better. make sure you use the needles that are the correct type for each model. IWATA makes a good airbrush too, but i like the american brands! the passche "VL" is a fine to light spray A/B, and the "H" is a heavier spray model. both are good, reputable brands to use, but i like the BADGER more. good luck!

matt arentzen
northeastrailworks.com
CRHS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds