Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Model Railroading > Precision Craft Models?

Date: 09/07/06 08:56
Precision Craft Models?
Author: wabash2800

I saw their locos in the new Walthers catalog.

New tooling? If not, whose tooling?

Thanks in advance

Date: 09/07/06 09:19
Re: Precision Craft Models?
Author: csxt4617

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw their locos in the new Walthers catalog.
>
> New tooling? If not, whose tooling?

I don't know if every engine they have is new tooling, but I know some of them are.
I have one of their Reading T-1's, and those were never offered in plastic before.

Date: 09/07/06 14:15
Author: RioGrandeFan

Yes, all of Precision Craft's models are new tooling. PCM is a new company that is an extension of Broadway Limited. BLI and PCM are in the same building and are basically the same company.

Because of BLI's new owner not liking QSI's owner, he decided to spin off PCM in order to NOT use QSI sound systems. He went in favor of ESU's LokSound which for steam is terrible. LokSound for diesel isn't so bad.

From what I've seen so far, PCM's models are very overpriced for what you get. Sure you get a good looking locomotive but there are good looking locomotives that are $200-$300 less than what they are charging and this is disregarding the sound issue. So far PCM isn't off to a very good start.

Why pay $649.99 for a Big Boy without sound when you can get Athearn's for $300 WITH sound? Sure Athearn's isn't die-cast but from the Lionel Challenger disaster, die-cast locomotives aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 09/07/06 15:15
Author: Matt_Gidley

I'm really looking forward to their SP SW1500, which should be availble in January last I heard. It looks on par with Atlas for cost, which is great. I held off on the MP15 they did so I could wait for this release. Here's hoping for a good model becasue the local hobby shop won;t have one, so I'll have to order it.

Date: 09/07/06 16:23

RioGrandeFan Wrote:
> From what I've seen so far, PCM's models are very
> overpriced for what you get. Sure you get a good
> looking locomotive but there are good looking
> locomotives that are $200-$300 less than what they
> are charging and this is disregarding the sound
> issue. So far PCM isn't off to a very good start.

depends on which loco you get. Try and find a Reading T-1...only ones out there are
brass, and good luck if you find one less than $1000. I paid about $300 for mine with
sound.

Date: 09/07/06 18:04
Author: RioGrandeFan

Not all of PCM's stuff is overpriced but that awful sound system is a huge turnoff. I work in a hobby store and we've had very bad luck selling this stuff. Mostly because of the sound. It is hard to sell anything at any price with such awful sound. If you buy PCM's steam with sound, rip out the sound and install a Tsunami Steam sound decoder. Then you'll have a very sweet locomotive. Nothing beats Tsunami!

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 09/08/06 05:19
Author: brfriedm

As always, you have to take Rio Grande's comments with a grain of salt. The Precision Models are good models. They have their advantages and disadvantages like all models. The Loksound modules are excellent and are selling well now in the states. They also offer excellent motor control and the ability to download and upgrade sounds onboard which the Tsunami does not. I have heard both and they sound about the same to me in quality. (very good) My friend has the Chessie Steam special T1 and the sound and workmanship are excellent. Not sure how it pulls. It runs well too. Rio Grande only likes Lenz DCC systems, Lenz decoders and Tsunami sound. He pretty much trashes everything else. Now that you know that, you can read his responses with a grain of salt. Atleast he is consistent..... :)

Bruce Friedman

Date: 09/08/06 05:41

brfriedm Wrote:
> I have heard both and they sound about the same to me in
> quality. (very good) My friend has the Chessie
> Steam special T1 and the sound and workmanship are
> excellent. Not sure how it pulls. It runs well
> too. Rio Grande only likes Lenz DCC systems, Lenz
> decoders and Tsunami sound.

My T-1 pulls pretty good. If I remember correctly, I was pulling about 45 grain hoppers
with it. My only complaint with the sound (and it may just be because I haven't figured
out how to set it) the chuffing drowns out the bell/whistle. I know there is a volume
setting, but I think it controls the general volume, not individual sounds.

Date: 09/08/06 06:10
Author: Finderskeepers

I have their Goose in On3, and it is a real crowd pleaser. I bought the optional DCMaster which allows me to access all of the DCC features without having to buy DCC (all the rest of my engines have PFM sound). I can use the horn, bell, control sound volume etc from the DC master. I can also reprogram any CV value I don't like, but so far I find everything to my liking. If I had one wish, it would be for flush fitting window inserts. The drive is very smooth and prototypically slow. I hope they do another On3 engine.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0701 seconds