Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Model Railroading > P2K Motors vs. Can Motors

Date: 05/29/07 06:27
P2K Motors vs. Can Motors
Author: Casselton

What is the quality of the motors in P2K GP7/9 and GP30s? Is a good quality Can motor that much better than the P2K motor? I am running DCC, so how much current the motor draws is an issue.

Thanks,

Mark

Date: 05/29/07 09:40
Re: P2K Motors vs. Can Motors
Author: atsfman

Can't give you a lot of "engineering standards" talk, but I run a 3 deck layout with NCE DCC, and a lot of diesels in operating sessions, including many P2K and do not have problems with abusing the NCE. My usual mix is mostly Atlas, some Kato, a very few Athearn and several P2K.

Bob

Date: 05/29/07 11:30
Author: wabash2800

I have a number of Proto 2000's as does a friend and the motors are can motors too aren't they? I can't imagine any of these HO locos using more than a half amp at full load if that.

Date: 05/29/07 12:02
Author: stivmac

W/p2k its more of a drive issue than a motor issue. The motors seem to pull well and run smoothly, not drawing much current. haven't put an amp meter on them to say definitivly, but they don't seem to have problems w/my Dtrax system.

Date: 05/29/07 12:45

The reason I am asking is because I purchased a couple of Atlas GP7/9s cheap and I am going to replace the trucks on the P2K with the Atlas trucks. I agree that the trucks are the main problem. However, I could cut the P2K weight up and change out the motors as well, but if there isn't a lot of difference in performance, what's the point of doing a lot of extra work.

Mark

Date: 05/29/07 15:38
Author: stivmac

I'd just swap out the trucks and try it before I did major surgery.

Date: 05/29/07 16:55
Author: RioGrandeFan

P2K motors aren't can motors but they are low current draw motors. They are basically a heavily upgraded Athearn motor if you compare the two.

I've never had any DCC issues with P2K locos and that goes back to the first P2K locos released in the late 90's. Using an RRAmpMeter on DCC, a P2K loco typically draws less than .5 amps.

The really new P2K stuff in the gray box is super nice. No noise and they glide over the track.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 05/29/07 16:59
Author: TCnR

RioGrandeFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...
> The really new P2K stuff in the gray box is super
> nice. No noise and they glide over the track.
>
> Rio Grande Fan
> Denver, CO

Are these the Walther's versions?
Very curious how they work out, P2K had/has great detail work.

Date: 05/29/07 18:40
Author: ESPEE5318

If I remember correctly the SD45's have can motors all the GP's don't. The GP motors were Athearn copies . The trucks/gears were the main issue in the p2k stuff. The stuff that has come out under Walthers ownership has been better running/quality etc...........Joe

Date: 05/30/07 07:14
Author: UPWPFan

I have a number of older PK 2 GP Locomotives and have never had any problems with the motors. They work just fine. The trucks are another story. Axle gears that crack, poor multiple unit performance being the most irritating. On the two axle truck GP locomotives I would consider replacing existing trucks with Stewart trucks (now sold by Bowser) before the motor.

Regards

Jere Ingram

Date: 05/30/07 07:41

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. The info was helpful. I am going to regear the P2K GP 30 first and see how they run before I try any major re-motor surgery.

Regards,
Mark

Date: 06/01/07 06:15
Author: DocJohn

My LL P2K GP7 with Soundtraxx LC series decoder has begun to perform poorly after many hours of service. It appears that I may have problems with the gears in the trucks. What is best method to determine if there is a problem with the gears in the trucks? If there is a problem, is Walthers honoring the LL warranty?

JHL
Macon, GA

Date: 06/01/07 09:44
Author: santafedan

The trucks click. That is the cracked one.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds