Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Model Railroading > DCC Fight Starter

Date: 01/21/08 00:51
DCC Fight Starter
Author: n6nvr

Leaving aside ease of programming, assuming same bulbs (stock factory bulbs in Athearn SD40T-2's or GP40X's), whose decoder gives the better Gyralight effect? NCE or Digitrax.

Now I have my SD45T-2's, GP40X's and SD40T-2's and want to install DCC in them and operating Gyralights.

Yes I know I either have to wire to different function outputs on the existing boards, drop the voltage to 1.5 volts for the bulbs and/or potentially pull the factory board and hard wire a decoder in. (And miniatronics bulbs are better, but an SD40 in Daylight, 2 SD40T-2s and 2 GP40Xs have shot the living daylights out of my disposable income for a while) I've got plenty of resistors and diodes and am planning to use a resistor and 2 diodes to get 1.4 volts for the lights. And I have a variety of suitable Digi and NCE decoders from a local hobby shop that bellied up a few years ago. Hopefully without spending any more money on them (I have to get an MT-4 or two when they come out.)

Godwins Law and the Marquis of Queensbury Rules apply. So shake hands and come out opinionating.

Date: 01/21/08 06:11
Re: DCC Fight Starter
Author: nikon1

Any of the base decoders that allow 4 function for lighting effects will work. Also, you can dispense witht the Diodes as they won't be needed. You'll only need the resistors.
Charlie

Date: 01/21/08 08:06
Author: RioGrandeFan

I would go with the Digitrax decoder for the effect you are looking for. Best in the business for both mars lights and gryolites using bulbs.

I would advise though that you pre-test the decoder before you install it as I've seen certain Digitrax decoders come DOA. Sure they might have been the low end variety but still they should work. Of course this was at least 5 years ago so things are probably a lot better now.

Actually in the grand scheme I would advise that all decoders get pre-tested before installation as I've had or seen quite a few from across the board be dead out of the package. It really gets irritating to find that the decoder is dead after you've installed it!

Anyway, go with the Digitrax. I couldn't tell you which one but the manual that comes with the decoder should tell you if it supports the gyrolite effect.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 01/21/08 11:28
Author: Phil

My reccomendation would be a T1 or T4x decoder from Train Control Systems or TCS for short. TCS decoders support both Mars and Gyralights and they have designated CVs for controling the effect of these lights. TCS also has a very good "no questions asked" warranty program. If the decoder fails or does not work just return it to TCS and they will repair or replace the decoder. My two cents.

Phil

Date: 01/21/08 11:36
Author: tracktime

RioGrandeFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would go with the Digitrax decoder for the
> effect you are looking for. Best in the business
> for both mars lights and gryolites using bulbs.
>
> I would advise though that you pre-test the
> decoder before you install it as I've seen certain
> Digitrax decoders come DOA. Sure they might have
> been the low end variety but still they should
> work. Of course this was at least 5 years ago so
> things are probably a lot better now.
>
> Actually in the grand scheme I would advise that
> all decoders get pre-tested before installation as
> I've had or seen quite a few from across the board
> be dead out of the package. It really gets
> irritating to find that the decoder is dead after
> you've installed it!
>
> Anyway, go with the Digitrax. I couldn't tell you
> which one but the manual that comes with the
> decoder should tell you if it supports the
> gyrolite effect.
>
> Rio Grande Fan
> Denver, CO

I'll go with Digitrax for gyralite and mars effects. I've been very happy with the DH163 series on my SD9E and others. Also, instead of resistors, I wired up a voltage regulator instead for a constant 1.3x voltage (or thereabouts) to my 1.5v bulbs regardless of track voltage and spikes..

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 01/21/08 15:30
Author: brassmag

I understand you are saying you have some NCE and Digitrax decoders already and want to put them to good use. I'm with Harry since the digitrax are a little more flexible in their mars effects. They are trickier to program, however, but once you get the CVs down right the first time, they are all the same after that. I really like TCSs decoders if you were to go out an purchase any additional.

Date: 01/21/08 17:38
Author: brfriedm

If you buy any TCS decoders make sure you get them from recent batches as TCS is finally adding Back EMF to all its decoders. Back EMF makes a big difference. Not all decoders from TCS have Back EMF but he is getting pretty close.

Bruce

http://www.tcsdcc.com/

Date: 01/21/08 17:39
Author: ESPEE5318

TCS

Date: 01/21/08 18:32
Author: nikon1

Personally I prefer and use Lenz Gold series decoders. These decoders have BEMF which means that I don't have to adjust my speed steps.
Charlie.

Date: 01/21/08 20:33
Author: barrydraper

If you're picky about your lighting effects then TCS is the only way to go. You may go crazy in the process, but there are several CVs that allow you to customize the effect to your taste. They even have a continuously variable dim ratio for those of us that use LEDs because we like our headlights BRIGHT. (I know you want to use the wimpy little 1.5 volt bulbs, but TSC even offers a 1.5 volt regulator add-on so you don't have to use resistors!)

Barry Draper

Date: 01/22/08 06:08
Author: csxt4617

I use mostly TCS decoders (I do have a few NCE and one Soundtraxx, plus factory-equipped
QSI's and Loksound). I like the TCS decoders, esp the plug-n-play ones. I was a little
disappointed when they discontinued the 5 function ones (DP5X)...guess I'll have to
go back and pull out the ones I put in engines that don't need more than 2 and save
them for units I plan to have ditchlights on.

Date: 01/22/08 12:31
Author: n6nvr

End of round 1. May I point out that of the choices requested Digitrax is leading, NCE following. The topic was APPEARANCE of Gyralight effects. (Suggestions on TCS, Lenz, etc are appreciated, but since I have only Digi and NCE currently on hand, those are the two I'm considering)

However I do agree with the comment on 2 function decoders. I have a whole bunch of F units to go (next batch to be shopped) and since most only have 1 headlight and 1 Mars light, and the B units no lights , a decent 2 function decoder is all that is needed. Maybe some mfr will notice the F-units out here. Many make drop in boards for Stewart and Genesis but they have 5 functions. Maybe I'll automate the wipers and crew waving with the extra functions. Still wondering what to do with a 5 function board in a B unit. I think hard wiring DH123's is in order for all of them. I guess I'll have to buy some modern hood units that take the drop in boards so I can use the extra functions.

Date: 01/22/08 12:44
Author: csxt4617

While setting up my Atlas -8 with flashing ditchlights using a TCS DP5X decoder, I
did play around with some of the other lighting effects, just to see what they looked
like. The gyralight setting looked neat, although not being real familiar with how
they looked in real life, I don't know if it was prototypically accurate or not.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds