Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Model Railroading > Large roof vents for elephant cars

Date: 07/24/08 18:46
Large roof vents for elephant cars
Author: FEC2000

I am working on my Ringling Brothers elephant cars and I am looking for suggestions on what type of large roof top vents in HO scale I might be able to use. They almost look like the round dome vents on the side of a resturant has. Thanks

JH

Date: 07/24/08 19:24
Re: Large roof vents for elephant cars
Author: mgwsy1978

Do you have a picture of the vents as I might be able to help you.

Date: 07/24/08 19:57

Here is one from a RBBX site, I am talking about flying saucer looking things on the roof...

Date: 07/25/08 08:40
Author: lizzard_45

They almost look like a eye from a rivet, or would that be too small?
PHL

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 07/25/08 09:45
Author: CSXSD70AC

What type of car are you using for this project? I intend to model this train at some point as I have the decal set already. Have no clue what type of model cars to use for these...

TIA,

JRF

Date: 07/25/08 10:29
Author: dcorreia

I used half rounds from Pikestuff for my Ringling Circus Train. I will post the picture of the car tomorrow.

Date: 07/25/08 12:21

I used Riverossi Baggage cars for my Elephant Cars. Although they are 10 feet short, the spacing between the doors is right on.

Date: 07/25/08 19:30
Author: rbx551985

RH, perhaps you might try using augmented thumb tacks (!!), carefully bent down around the edges to appear as those real vents on the prototype Stock Cars, if you can find any the right size for HO scale.

SEE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RBBX2.jpg
---or---
http://www.bayarearails.net/photos/display.php?rbbx

There are numerous additions to these former U.P. 6-axle baggage cars, including those roof vents, misting systems (for use on hot days the train is rolling), drains, and other items that one does not see from outside - all upgrades made for "creature comforts."

Date: 07/25/08 20:30

I am going to try using the ends they stick in BIC pens, they look like right size, so I am going to use them on my 1st car until I find something better....

Date: 07/26/08 08:25

Here's a picture of one of my elephant cars on my Blue Unit circus train using the Plastruct elliptical half dome rounds. Although they may be on the big size, they do look like the tops of exhaust vents. Instead of two rows, I put a row down the middle of the car.

Date: 07/26/08 14:53
Author: mgwsy1978

Well I looked at some pics and here is what I came up with. They might not be 100% to the inch but pretty close. I made a test sample and the mounting pin is for a 1/16 hole. Let me know what you guys think.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds