Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Model Railroading > SP Freight Trains "In the Park"

Date: 07/25/08 08:50
SP Freight Trains "In the Park"
Author: KeyRouteKen

The following two photos depict the rare occurances that Vic Shattock took his entire basement freight train to the GGLS track in Redwood Regional Park in Oakland, CA.

The freight train and locomotive was 1/2" scale, 2 1/2" gauge. (Gauge-3)...

The third photo depicts the 2nd time his trains graced the cover of "Model Railroader" magazine...

Enjoy!

KRK

Date: 07/25/08 10:10
Re: SP Freight Trains "In the Park"
Author: wabash2800

Wow, and the freight cars look pretty good too.

Date: 07/25/08 10:18

My 'grandpa' built every one of those cars too.
I know, when did he "sleep", huh ?? <g>

The two reefers (PFE) were insulated. You dropped ice cubes thru the roof hatches and kept your sandwich cold.

The Hopper Car had fully functional "end doors". "side doors" and "center-drop" door. We used it to ballast the track in the basement.

Most of the wood for the cars came from old wooden KRAFT cheese boxes. The tanks for the TANK CARS came from old "Carbon Tetrachloride" bottles (extinguishers) ..
In those early days, you scratch-built with what you could find!

KRK

Date: 07/25/08 11:08
Author: stivmac

All I can say to this and your other thread is: DAMN! You are indeed lucky to have known, let alone be related to such a person! In this day of RTR, he speaks to an age of craftsmanship that is sadly going---going---GONE! Thanks for keeping his memory alive and sharing it with us. Hopefully you have progeny who are as interested as you.

Date: 07/25/08 11:27

Hi Steve--
The sad part is, that in 35 years of marriage, my wife and I could never have children.
We do have a few nieces and nephews--my older brother 'Jim' has three grandsons.
So what do I do with the "file cabinets of history" I have in my office ??
Models, photos, memorabilia, etc. Others on here probably share the same decision problem !!
I produced a DVD about my grandfather, and "Narrow Gauge Shortline Gazette" magazine ran a beautiful six-page photo story about him in their March-April,2007 issue...

I'm trying to preserve his memory so he won't be forgotten after I am long gone!
He was even in a 1930 issue of "Fortune Magazine" ..

Anyway--glad you like the photos.

Ken Shattock (KRK)

Date: 07/25/08 14:19
Author: stivmac

I guess there is the CA State RR Museum, the NMRA Museum, or the SP Historical Society. The main worry is of course what will they actually DO with the stuff. Often, museums these days require a $$ donation to maintain a donated collection, and sadly, there is no guarantee that the stuff will actually be available to the public, or worse sold off for a double profit. I went to one estate sale and felt too much like a vulture, that I'll never repeat the experience.

Date: 07/25/08 15:26
Author: CPRR

Hey Ken, I could be a "appointed son" at 50.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds