Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Model Railroading > OK now for the airbrush - what about a compressor?

Date: 11/03/08 14:58
OK now for the airbrush - what about a compressor?
Author: Espeenut

...looks like I'm going to get a Paasche VL for my airbrush, but I need a SMALL compressor, I live in a townhouse with very tight storage space that is already filled with what the wife calls 'too much' model railroad equipment, so I really don't want to get a tank unit which has been the most common recommendation from other modelers. Do any of you have any experience with the smaller oil-less piston compressors? That is what I'm most likely to get, so don't go trying to sway me to CO2 tanks or larger storage tank types of air supplies, just the little guys please...
...thank again guys...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Date: 11/03/08 15:54
Re: OK now for the airbrush - what about a compressor?
Author: grahamline

I'm using a Badger compressor with the long braided hose, a regulator and water trap. Works fine, but you really really should consider a CO2 tank. Much quieter and it will last you a long time. The neighbors will appreciate the quiet. Don't know how the condo association would feel about a pressure tank, though.

Date: 11/03/08 17:08
Author: Afbombers

I have a small oil-less piston compressor it works great and is fairly small it does have a tank on it. The whole thing is about 1.5ft long 8in wide and 1.5ft tall, it doesnt take up much space and if you want the paint to come out smooth a air compressor with a tank and regulator is the way to go otherwise you'll notice a pulsing while your painting

Date: 11/03/08 19:58

...OK gang, found out some interesting things about small compressors, a very good percentage of them are all made by the same Taiwanese company, Sparmax. While shopping around for my airbrush and compressor today I noticed one that seemed very well built and also quiet at a local art supply store, its called a Sparmax AC100. So I went to their website and noticed a lot of very familiar looking compressors, including the weird little "Blue Mini" that Testors sells. Sparmax actually makes many of the compressors sold under the other manufacturers names. Iwata, Testors, Badger, and many others are all actually Sparmax compressors with different paint and labeling. So let you pocketbook be your guide as many of them are all the same unit...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Date: 11/04/08 02:45
Author: n6nvr

Go to your local Home Despot or Lowe's and see what kind of deal is available on a pancake compressor with a few air tools. You might find something better than a dedicated small air brush compressor AND a few tools on top of that. You can use it for assembling benchwork (with glue of course) not just nails, remodeling, tire inflation, air drying your guns after cleaning, etc. Bunches of things the little ones CAN'T do.

You should probably add a filter/moisture trap to the line, but you have to do that with the small compressors also. I have a little Binks compressor and while it really was nice, it had a few quirks and would pulse the air sometimes if I needed to open the air brush all the way up. It also would not re-start with pressure in the air line.

Date: 11/04/08 08:39

...while I appreciate the recommendations provided, I'm not sure all of you thoroughly read my opening post, I was specific in mentioning a serious lack of storage space in our townhouse and not wanting a large tank type compressor or CO2 tank...
...anyway, thanks for all of your suggestions, I need to get going on this project so today I'm heading out to get the airbrush and compressor. Most likely its going to be the Iwata Revolution and one of their compressors that comes equipped with a 10 ft coiled hose from the compressor to the regulator and a 10 ft braided air hose from the regulator to the airbrush, there's also an air filter with a water trap as well. The info I've gathered indicates the combination of the coiled air line, regulator and filter effectively reduce any pulsing to a minimum...
...after I've worked with the new setup for a bit I'll let you all know how it works...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Date: 11/04/08 10:00
Author: Andre

Loren,

The main reason that even a small tank is advantageous is that the air pressure has a chance to stabilize, with a small compressor and just a hose the air will pulsate from the piston, if there is an air tank between the compressor and the air bush the tank absorbs the pulses and delivers a smooth constant output. Also since you usually only need between 15 and 40 psi and most air compressors can hold up to 100 psi or more and with an automatic pressure switch the motor will shut off till you need more air in the tank. Another advantage to an air tank is that the compressed air cools off more and there is much less chance for moisture to get in to the line to your air brush.

A Co2 tank does not have a problem with sound, is very portable, and due to the nature of gas is moisture free so all you need is a regulator.

I hope this explains why most of us have recommended something with a tank, either a compressor or a Co2 tank.

Andre

Date: 11/04/08 10:08
Author: ESPEE5318

Yep, tankless compressors pulsate, plus they burn up from running for long periods. A small compressor with a tank or a CO2 bottle is the way to go............Joe

Date: 11/04/08 14:33
Author: tracktime

ESPEE5318 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, tankless compressors pulsate, plus they burn
> up from running for long periods. A small
> compressor with a tank or a CO2 bottle is the way
> to go............Joe

Gotta agree here. I've got a tiny 2 gallon Delta compressor that I bought online. In terms of footprint, it is about 16 inches in length, and six inches wide. That's it. It runs relatively quietly too, and it replaced my old 20 gallon monster that I had at my old house. Price for these tiny new-gen compressors is anywhere from $89-$140 tops.

Check your local Kragen or other auto supply place. Most of these tiny 2-4 gallon compressors can be found there - NOT at Sears or Home Depot or Lowes..

below is an old link to the air compressor that I now own..
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-ShopMaster-2-Gallon-Noise-Compressor/dp/B0000VSB5A

Again, this compressor is perfect for a tiny townhouse or other small space. The room I use it in is only 8' x 10'. Practically a walk-in-closet to many!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 11/04/08 23:37
Author: Scoopcat

I found a small pancake compressor with a 1.5 gal tank for $57 plus tax at Kragen. It came without a regulator or tools though, another forty or fifty bucks. The box is 10" square by 14" high. It is noisy though. And I probably use a better regulator.

Date: 11/05/08 05:45
Author: jackpot

I got a great Craftsman aircompressor for under $100, including several tools and attachments. Has an air tank integrated with the rest of the unit, doesn't take up much space, and is relatively quiet.

I couldn't see shelling out $150-200 for a dedicated "artist's" air compressor when you can get a far better compressor,with an air tank, that can be used for more than just your models, for half the price.

Something like this from Campbell Haulsfeld might work for you:
http://www.cpocampbellhausfeld.com/air_compressors/home_and_car_care_air_compressors/fp209000rb.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0634 seconds