Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Model Railroading > Vallejo model air matte varnish

Date: 05/09/09 05:22
Vallejo model air matte varnish
Author: jshellha

Somewhat “piggy backing” on Charls post of May 6, I too am attempting to use some of the Vallejo products. I have located a source for the paint but my question deals with Pelle Soeborg’s use of the “model air matte varnish” as a sealant for decals and his chalk weathering. He does not state that he thins this material but I have found it way too viscuous to airbrush at normal pressures. Has anyone here used this Vallejo model air matte varnish and if you have, can you supply details of thinning and pressures?

Thanks,

Jim Shellhaas
Westfield, IN

Date: 05/09/09 09:19
Re: Vallejo model air matte varnish
Author: TT

Vallejo sells a thinner for use with their paints, it comes in the same small bottles as the colors and clearcoats. I used this thinner and sprayed the satin varnish at a little over 20 PSI. I painted several models, on most it worked fine, but on a couple it beaded up and left white spots, ruining the model. I ended up going back to Model Master Satin Finish in spray cans…takes longer to dry but it works every time for me.

Date: 05/10/09 09:07
Author: Charls

TT, what is the Model Master product number for the Satin finish you use, I cannot find any satin finish listing on Model Master web site

Date: 05/12/09 08:34

I'm pretty sure this is the one:

http://www.testors.com/product/136257/1959/_/Semi-Gloss_Clear_FS_-_3_oz._Spray_Can

I'll check the can when I get home tonight though. :-)

Date: 05/14/09 14:23

Any luck in confirming it, and does those spray can do a professional finish ie not thick and dripping

Date: 05/17/09 12:18

Ok, sorry for the delay- the can I have is Model Master Lacquer Overcoat Semi-Gloss. It's a 3 oz. can with a gray label with a blue stripe. Near the bar code it says 'No. 1959'. This stuff seems to go on pretty thin for a spray can, but it is not at the same level as an airbrushed finish.

Date: 05/19/09 14:40

Thanks

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds