Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Model Railroading > Are Walthers Passenger cars really RTR?

Date: 09/05/10 07:00
Are Walthers Passenger cars really RTR?
Author: genevasub

A friend sent me a list of about 20 things he does to get his Walthers passenger cars ready to run on his layout. This starts with total disassembly, filing certain parts, reaming out the journal boxes, applying graphite, etc. Granted he is a perfectionist and granted that they probably need some fine-tuning out of the box, but what do all of you do to get them ready?

Thanks,

Genevasub

Date: 09/05/10 09:04
Re: Are Walthers Passenger cars really RTR?
Author: ssw

Mine get the coupler height checked (as all rolling stock does), and the only thing I do to Walthers passenger cars that I don't do to most other things is I put a couple drops of LaBelle 102 on the ends of the axles to keep them from squeaking, but other than that, they get pulled out of the box and set on the track.

Date: 09/05/10 09:21
Author: Afbombers

As a rule I do a couple steps to all of the walthers cars, I actually do this to every passenger car no matter what brand but that's another topic, First I make sure the coupler height is proper since some of the cars couplers may hang low, next I gauge every wheel.....despite saying they are rtr they still need adjustment and the last thing I go is lightly oil the bearings.

Date: 09/05/10 12:47
Author: Notch16

Other than mechanical issues such as this, do you also mean things like adding window shades, safety bars behind aisle windows, and final decals for road number or car name?

Popping the roof from the latest issues is a little nerve-wracking, but I'm getting better with a number 17 blade (as they recommend), and I'm breaking fewer attachment lugs each time!

I also install Kadee 58s and Intermountain semi-scale wheelsets.

~ BZ

Date: 09/05/10 13:08
Author: J.Ferris

Notch16 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Other than mechanical issues such as this, do you
> also mean things like adding window shades, safety
> bars behind aisle windows, and final decals for
> road number or car name?
>
> Popping the roof from the latest issues is a
> little nerve-wracking, but I'm getting better with
> a number 17 blade (as they recommend), and I'm
> breaking fewer attachment lugs each time!
>
> I also install Kadee 58s and Intermountain
> semi-scale wheelsets.
>
> ~ BZ

Notch,

Replacing the couplers and replacing the wheel sets are known upgrades. I have also heard that on some (if not all) cars need to have work done around the diaphragms, mostly on the bottom so that they do not snag, either themselves or couplers, once you get the height correct.

J.

Date: 09/05/10 13:15
Author: Afbombers

That is correct, depending on if you can get the coupler to be level the top of the coupler tends to snag on the bottom of the diaphragm

J.Ferris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Notch16 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Other than mechanical issues such as this, do
> you
> > also mean things like adding window shades,
> safety
> > bars behind aisle windows, and final decals for
> > road number or car name?
> >
> > Popping the roof from the latest issues is a
> > little nerve-wracking, but I'm getting better
> with
> > a number 17 blade (as they recommend), and I'm
> > breaking fewer attachment lugs each time!
> >
> > I also install Kadee 58s and Intermountain
> > semi-scale wheelsets.
> >
> > ~ BZ
>
> Notch,
>
> Replacing the couplers and replacing the wheel
> sets are known upgrades. I have also heard that on
> some (if not all) cars need to have work done
> around the diaphragms, mostly on the bottom so
> that they do not snag, either themselves or
> couplers, once you get the height correct.
>
> J.

Date: 09/05/10 17:23
Author: Notch16

I've noticed that in handling. Haven't operated yet, so that's on the list of things to check.

I still admire and applaud the level of research and the fine hand that's going into the detailing of the shells, the top-notch paintwork, and the overall rightness. They need a little extra boost from the owner/operators in areas like this, but the materials are a pretty good place from which to start, even if the technically correct answer to whether or not they're RTR is 'not completely'.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds